The general Metal discussion thread

fcAQcdzoFdQ

My God, that sounds AMAZING! Can't wait for the new album.

Oh yeah, can't wait for the coverart. Fursy is simpely a genius. You won't find people as talented as him too often. He writes amazing music, has a damn fine, beautiful and unique voice (even though he is not a good vocalist at all), he paints like a god and he's making AMAZING animation movies. What a man! And on top of that he seems like the nicest person ever. I start to think that he's made of gold or something.

Yes, I am a fanboy :wub:

I'm fairly certain Fursy said this album would again have an Artbook edition too. Which is incredibly exciting. The Artbook edition of Septembre is stunning.

Seriously, I can't get enough of Janvs these days. What an amazing band! Especially their last album, "Vega", is something out of this world!

It's a band that is kinda hard to label, but I guess Progressive Black Metal would fit them best. They've really been able to find their own, unique sound.

jWPQ85TGVVI

h57sjYyiqVE&feature=related

Can't get enough!

So, a new Necrophagia record is comming out this year. If everything goes as planned it will be out in 10 days. Really looking forward to it! It's called "Deathtrip 69" and is their 6th full lenght. It is 6 years since their last album, "Harvest Ritual Volume I", and that was a great one. Don't know if anyone know the band, but Mirai Kawashima from Sigh played keyboard on their two previous albums, and Joey Jordison from Slipknot did vocals on one song ("Stitch Her Further") of their last album. The only member left that has been in Necrophagia before this album is Killjoy, also known from Cabal and Wurdulak. The three other members are new. Other members includes Frediablo, known from Grimfist among others, Iscariah who used to be in Immortal, Phil Anselmo aka Anton Crowley from Pantera and Down and a few others.

For those of you that doesn't know the band; they play Death Metal, and are heavily inspired by horror/gore/splatter/slasher movies, something which you can also hear in their music, and especially on The Divine Art of Torture and Harvest Ritual Volume I where Mirai handle the keyboard and manage to create a really horror film-like atmosphere.

Released their first demo in 84 and their first album in 87, called Season of the Dead, even though they recorded their first album in 86, but it wasn't released before 90. In other words, one of the original Death Metal bands.

Cover art:

necrophagia-deathtrip-69.jpg

I like it. Gives me a horror movie feeling.

Necrophagia - Deathtrip 69 Trailer:

p4vlBBhM2Wg

I have the feeling it will be their weakest album, but that doesn't mean it will be bad. They never released anything that I doesn't REALLY enjoy! But this album sounds more standard Death Metal than their previous work. But we'll see as soon as it leaks.

And a few older songs, since they've changed a lot over the years:

75TtyqrJPc0

9LlStjMjiB0&feature=related

6TnLyHbsChM

Mirai's synth work in this song is beyond GENIUS! It's like they made a Death Metal soundtrack to an 80's horror movie! Gives me the chills.

YoT5ogiyrhI

Mirai's synth work in this song is beyond GENIUS! It's like they made a Death Metal soundtrack to an 80's horror movie! Gives me the chills.

:wub:

It looks like I will fill up this thread all by myself. Anyway, Ildra has finally released their debut album "Eðelland". Many people mean that this is how the new Moonsorrow album should have sounded like. I don't agree, though. I think Moonsorrows new album is a damn good effort, and wouldn't want it any different. And "Eðelland" is way more Black metal than Moonsorrow, and sound a little more like mid/new-period Graveland or something. And I am sure that the album will grow on me. Sounds fucking superb!

Check it out, folks!

New Krallice has leaked as well. I've only given it three listens, but it sounds like their best until now. But Krallice is the kind of music that needs time to grow on the listener, so it's hard to say anything about excatly how good it is yet. But first impression is damn good!

Check it out, folks!

I would like to recommend Weakling and Wolves in the Throne Room to you, Fitear1590. Weakling is the original one, WITTR is the clone and Krallice is the clone of the clone. All three are amazing, but I prefer Weakling and WITTR over Krallice anyday.

Weakling = the big brother

Wolves in the Throne Room = the femminine little brother

Krallice = the cousin

No kidding.

I've never heard of Ildra before (of course) but I'll definitely check it out, especially if it sounds anything like Moonsorrow. Definitely enjoyed their latest full length and V: Havitetty was also a great record so I have a feeling I'm adding another band to my rotation. I've also meant to check out Janvs since they sound interesting from your description, but it's that time of the school year where you get lots of finals and papers and presentations and whatnot and I've been bogged down.

Oh, I already know and enjoy "Wolves in the Throne Room" but I'll check out Weakling! Thank you for the recommendation!

You're welcome. It's like a meaner Wolves in the Throne Room.

I've never heard of Ildra before (of course) but I'll definitely check it out, especially if it sounds anything like Moonsorrow. Definitely enjoyed their latest full length and V: Havitetty was also a great record so I have a feeling I'm adding another band to my rotation. I've also meant to check out Janvs since they sound interesting from your description, but it's that time of the school year where you get lots of finals and papers and presentations and whatnot and I've been bogged down.

Well, I seriously wouldn't compare it too much to Moonsorrow. I'd say it's more like a 97-2005 era Graveland with a small dash of Moonsorrow and Woodensthrone thrown into the mix. But it sure is worth your time.

Just as i thought where could be the new WITTR album :D

I hope it's more like Two Hunters and Malevolent Grain, like having more ambient pieces, female vox an' stuff. 2011 is thy best, despite the Shining album sucking most of it's run time. Gladly there's still so much stuff coming out from my other favorites. Rumor is that there's going to be a new Repugnant album as well, but probably not since those guys seem to be cancelling shows left and right because they can't be bothered to attend or shit like that ( ??? ).

New Haemorrhage and Toxic Holocaust albums coming as well! Though Toxic Holocausts last album was meh, bleh and everything in between, so wonder how it's going to be like in the end.

Toxic Holocausts is good band , only I have listen album An Overdose Of Death and liked it a lot

LastToxic Holocaust was a killer. Not as good as their previous two, but still damn good.

If anyone wants to give them a try, Hungarian sludge/stoner/hardcore metal band IGOR has their EP up for free download. This is their first official recording, eventhough they've been going strong for like 10-15 years, lol. They're nothing extraordinary or special but I think people who like this genre will enjoy this EP too. :)

A little taste:

1BWiDFUpLq8

Alcest's rerecording of the Le Secret EP is fucking killer! I love how perfectly Neige made it fit with their recent release, Écailles de Lune. These two songs could easily have been on Écailles de Lune without it fucking up the flow of the album. And even though it sounds very Écailles de Lune'ish, you won't have any problems hearing which songs it is. Old school Alcest in a new package. Gotta love it!

Re-issue is indeed great but I still find myself leaning towards the original versions instead of the re-recordings, maybe after a few more listens I'll enjoy them more.

I'm not sure to which I prefer. Depends on my mood, I guess. The original is a lot darker, colder and melancholic sounding black metal, while the rerecordings has more of a light fantasy-feeling (in lack of a better description), and moves more intro black shoegazing. I think I love them both.

Also genius of Neige to include both the rerecorded tracks as well as the original traks on the same release. Hail that!

My brother introduced me to this Finnish band the other day, Hooded Menace.

I know nothing about the intricacies of metal genres but most people say it's "death doom".

Anyway, I thought the riffs were really interesting. Anyone here like them?

WxnPcTkLt88

NvsOghA2Rrs