The general Metal discussion thread

Death/doom would be right, sir. Decent band, but I can't call myself a huge fan. I like them, but there's plenty of other death/doom acts that I prefer over these guys. But they've managed to creat some old school sounding music without sounding too generic, so creds to them for that. But whenever I listen to Hooded Menace I put on the Coffins / Hooded Menace split. The Coffins track is just way too good. Total fucking killer! Coffins sure win the split without no doubt, but the Hooded Menace track's good as well, even though it's nothing compared to Coffins.

So, this is weird. Helheim just release a new album and it sounds really, really good. I mean, I am a HUGE fan of their two demos and their two first albums, and I think Yersinia Pestis is a cool album. I've not heard Terrorveldet or Åsgårds Fall, but Blod & Ild, The Journeys and the Experiences of Death and Kaoskult are lame and boring albums. So I was surprised when I heard the new stuff today. Sounds really good. That's something I didn't think I would ever say about this band again.

New Wintersun song, live from a festival.

Totally can't believe I missed this thread. I need to check out some of the albums and bands mentioned here. I'm always up for new metal and expanding my taste. It's kinda funny since I actually used to absolutely hate metal when I was younger. Now I love it.

Record Store Olympics Event 3: The Decipher (Long Version)

m2NJ_b2RUcI&feature

Waterloo Records presents Record Store Olympics Event 3: The Decipher (Long Version). Record store employees try and decipher metal band names based on their logos.

That's hilarious!

Haha! Yes! He knew everything but had such a "careface". Way too simple for him.

So, this is weird. Helheim just release a new album and it sounds really, really good. I mean, I am a HUGE fan of their two demos and their two first albums, and I think Yersinia Pestis is a cool album. I've not heard Terrorveldet or Åsgårds Fall, but Blod & Ild, The Journeys and the Experiences of Death and Kaoskult are lame and boring albums. So I was surprised when I heard the new stuff today. Sounds really good. That's something I didn't think I would ever say about this band again.

Got this album as a promotional copy for reviewing and I have to say I definitely agree with you. I only know a few of their other songs, but they never really managed to impress me while the new release sounds just awesome. They asked me for an interview, so if you have any interesting questions (since you seem to know their discography better than I do) you can send me them via PM if you like to ;)

e! But if you're into more raw black metal youshould check out their two first albums. That's their best work in my eyes.

Also, I PM'd you. :D

I just ordered some new stuff now. Or, I ordered a long time ago and paid now.

Take a look at this beauty:

47933_1.jpg

14y4jyh.jpg

Sigh - Scorn Defeat 3lp

There we've got another reason why you do NOT by CDs anymore. :D

And I ordered these two as well:

Alcest - Le Secret (2011) lp

Krypts - Krypts lp

Can't wait until those arrive. Amazing stuff!

I can post a crapload of power metal if you want, but I don't know shit about the typical happy metal or neo-classical tuff, so it would be different power metal than that.

I can post a crapload of power metal if you want, but I don't know shit about the typical happy metal or neo-classical tuff, so it would be different power metal than that.

"happy metal"

Implying that power metal is related to "oshare metal(core)" (a la Decola Hopping)...just no.

But anyways, I am ready :twisted:

I've always seen "modern" power metal (the type that got popular out over the 90's) as the metal answer to oshare, even since I heard about oshare kei. No kidding. But yeah, I'll come back with some stuff a little later. Just gonna fix some shit first.

And you'll be surprised when you hear some REAR POWUHR METARU!!!!

OldCheesey's superduper power metal special. :P

Liege Lord - Eye of the Storm, from the album Master Control

tk9vTE4ecLY

Helstar - Baptized In Blood, from the album Nosferatu

hHl53xXPxhE

Crimson Glory - Valhalla, from the album Crimson Glory

rTeoLHN8mek

Sacred Oath - The Omen, from the album A Crystal Vision

uUuGexcmSuE

Sanctuary- Die For My Sins, from the album Refuge Denied

BExMRGMfG1o

Omen - Battle Cry, from the album Battle Cry

CwI7YGjSTF8

Nasty Savage - Fear Beyond the Vision, from the album Nasty Savage

7Lzq86t_Zf0

Salem's Wych Never Ending Battle, from the album Betrayer of Kings

lkouQTzH2zY

Savage Grace - Master of Disguise, from the album Master of Disguise

GI1SU-dZF3E

Manilla Road - Necropolis, from the album Crystal Logic

LWvQVln9fAU

Cloven Hoof - Astral Rider, from the album A Sultan's Ransom

jkEX71xa6oo

Running Wild - Marooned, from the album Death or Glory

VAzOkhfBH8Q

Yeah, I guess that's it for now. And if I'd had to choose a couple of favourites it would have to be Running Wild, Cloven Hoof, Manilla Road, Savage Grace, Omen and Helstar. But I do like all those bands, albums and songs a lot.

I can be honest enough and assume that Pretsy will hate this, but that's cool, dude. :domo:

Yes! Can't wait for the new album. And new Alcest, new Lanlos and so on. And the new Peste Noire were amazing! Those french bastards know how to make music.

Recived Alcest - Le Secret (2011) today. Great stuff!

This topic shall not die!

nPqtg-8P0Y0

New DHG album coming this year and hopefully it's much better than their ( well the main composer Vicotnik's ) last effort, Supervillain Outcast. At least they rocked when i saw them live this March. This band is sort of infamous for morphing into something new with every single album, starting with traditional Black metal with some amazing bass work by Fenriz, like in this song ( 2.20- ugh! )

The second album Monumental Possession is basically Black thrash, which is due to Apollyon ( Aura Noir ) being in the band at the time. Not as good as Aura Noir's best stuff, namely Black Thrash Attack, but worth checking out definitely. That album was followed by the Satanic Art EP, which is my favourite of theirs. Being sort of a mix of all their previous works and the next one, 666 International, having all the experimenting but without the industrial of the future sound. If 666 International would have been released sooner, apparently it would have sounded more like Satanic art, but due to delays the sound of the album changed drastically into this

7QH6yWD9WuE

After that their vocalist left and was changed to Kvohst of the british band Code. I do miss Aldrahn's unique vocals and odd ramblings, but Kvohst is technically far superior, especially live. Though one of the reason why Supervillain Outcast sucked so hard, is that the vocals were mixed so damn low, they were also low on the mix when i saw them live. Damn shame.

Skip Supervillain Outcast, it sucks long time.

^ I am afraid to say this but you won't be able to save this thread :P

Wish someone would eventually post some groove metal bands here (other than Gojira or LoG)

Well Stig tried his best, but there aren't too many metal fans around and about, so he ended up talking to himself for seven pages : /

Well groove stuff isn't in my area of expertise, so I'm no help there. Was a Gojira fan once, but now... ehh not so much. Still kinda like some of their stuff, mostly newer.

To be honest, this thread is too random for me. One moment it's about obscure black metal bands, then suddenly we get a vidspam of power metal bands and next somebody asks for groove metal. It's all over the place and nothing gets really discussed.

Not saying that people can't post in here if they think it fits nowhere else, but the global music sections isn't that active, so I think there's no harm in creating seperate threads for certain things to attract attention of posibble fans. Even if one thinks that a band doesn't need its own topic, one could still make a black metal thread, and a power metal thread and so on. Just like there is a folk metal thread, a Trip-hop thread, a postrock thread...

I listen to a lot of metal but "general metal" is a bit too... general?

The reason why "General Metal" thread was made, was to attract as many people as possible, so that it wouldn't die...

But, everything you said is true. Also all the individual band topics seem active enough, so maybe it wouldn't hurt to try and make more of those as long as it doesn't result into making tons of topics for obscure black-metal band #21416324629. This seems to be more appropriate for linking many bands at once, or just general discussion of metal as a genre.

666 posts :devilwha:8)

Yup, but just for example, I know that Alcest is reasonably popular around here (as popular as you could expect a black metal band to be on a jrock forum anyway), so I don't see why they shouldn't get their own topic, instead of getting swamped between the new Wintersun song and some doom metal band.

More obscure black metal bands could then be discussed on a "Black Metal thread" - those bands will probably only appeal to people who have a general liking for black metal anyway.

I dunno, maybe this thread could be converted into a "General Metal Recommendation thread" because this is essentially what it has become - people asking for or giving recommendations, regardless of genre. And yes, some news are posted here and there, but those get quickly overlooked and would probably gain more recognition on an appropriate artist or genre thread.

Anyway, just a thought.

I'm not a regular metalhead anymore, but randomly stumbled upon an Italian (somewhat technical and kinda symphonic?) death metal band called Fleshgod Apocalypse. They're pretty kickass, they have this symphonic thing going on, especially on their 2nd and newest album Agony. It doesn't feel like individual songs, more like a continuous brutal slab of music with lots of gorgeous/subtle melodies throughout (and lotsa keyboards). Their first album is more on the traditional tech-death side of things, and they also have an EP which feels like a transition between the two albums' sounds.

I recommend them, they're pretty cool.

DRFPwhUGUP4

LWeXYauun-o

xjKyzwqIT7s