The general Metal discussion thread

^ I've never heard of this band, but this sounds pretty neat. Gonna see them as the opening act for Eyehategod next week, should be interesting.

That's a weird combo, but I recommend everything they've done before. Judging from videos they also seem to be an absolute monster of a liveband. Offers something very unique for sure. Easily one of the metal bands I'm most keen to experience live.

I might go as far as to say that both their albums deserves a spot on top 10 black metal albums of the decade for 2000's and 2010's. First album sounds like a Chinese Drudkh meets Burzum and Summoning, while the second album sounds like Summoning meets Drudkh and Burzum.

67454151_10157514307079808_6452682354962

Tracklist

CD1 
1. Descent (27:39)
2. Rotting in Dereliction (15:51)
3. Antim Yatra (04:40)
Total: 0:48:10

CD2
4. Consuming Lies (15:16)
5. Culmination (19:03)
6. Sick and Tired (15:46)
Total: 0:50:05

Regarding the new record, the band comments: "'A Pyrrhic Existence' is an album that deals with some of the darkest sides of the human psyche and the harsh realities of existence. The concepts of the lyrics deal with death, suffering, tragedy, lies and the breakdown of the human psyche. The title is a reference as to how existence can be perceived as something that inflicts so much devastation on the survivor, that it becomes tantamount to defeat. The music is a progression from previous albums, and is of an extremely psychedelic and experimental nature. It can be likened to a vicarious journey through the twisted passages of the broken mind."

This should be good. Really looking forward to this. Such a dark and crushing band.

a brief discussion about Legion and Marduk:

i love their whole discography,however,i've been so obsessed with " La Grande Danse Macabre "and it's powerful horrendous presence. This album is,perhaps,their most underrated stuff.For me,MARDUK was some sort of black metal "ritual of passage" ,through their discography i learned how to enjoy this "full speed/god-raping" style of music,and i'm loving it. LGDM is a bit more variated compared to the previous work,with some instrumental tracks/doomy and mid-paced moments. BUT,what really helped me diving into this album was it's lyrics...Lord...Legion's lyrics are EXCEPTIONAL,no wonder swedish people are considered the best non native english speakers,his lyrics are like a war/horror movie full picture in your head,so many good lines,it's almost like a journey sitting down and listen to the tracks while reading the lyrics.And,i don't even need to mention his vocals,he sounds like the devil himself,his voice always gets me pumped,wishing i could burn something down lol. It's cool when vocalists are able to do really aggressive vocal lines but at the same time sounding understandable.

Some reviwers says that Legion's MARDUK era sucks,beacause 80% of the tracks featuring him are just insane/pointless blast beating,but i don't think so.Every Legion album seems an Opus in black metal,in my humble opinion.He did some awesome stuff with his band DEVIAN and  WITCHERY,but unfortunately that was all. It's been several years already and really hope he can just come back all of a sudden for at least one more album,it would awesome.Hail Legion!

Edited by Euronymous

I fully agree, @Euronymous, great album! It'll always have a special place in my heart as it was my first Marduk CD. But other than that ofc it has some exceptional songs and I really enjoy the slower pace too. Also, the segue from "Obedience unto Death" to "Bonds of Unholy Matrimony" is just awesome.

Never had a problem with Legion meself either, although I've seen people giving him shit. Obviously you could find better or more captivating black metal vocalists out there but he really added flavour to Marduk's music that's for sure.

Legion's getting much shit? Never seen or heard anything about that around him as a vocalist. But I personally do consider Af Gravf and Mortuus as superior vocalists. Maybe Andreas Axelsson too. Legion is just very uncreative and one-dimensional, as heard on Ophthalamia's Via Dolorosa as well. Ophthalamia's music were always super creative, but Legion really could not match the music with his vocals at all. All, who was the vocalist on later albums, were far superior tbh.

But as far as Legion goes the shit I have seen came from him acting like a little bitch on stage later in his career with his fucking "FRAAAAAAAAAANCE!!! WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!" after performing a 70 min set about war, death, blood, anti-christianity and satan. That of course won't get well accepted by a black metal audience, and for good reason.

And the only Marduk album to really be shat on because of its speed is Panzer Division Marduk, which is fully understandable imo. Obviously a love/hate album. But other albums generally don't get much negative attention for being this full speed black metal assault. Main problem with the Legion era is that the songwriting got worse. Seemed to be all out of fresh ideas after Nightwing. 

Business division Marbuck is for ladies when you have the real deal ( Sigrblot is also good and that's most likely Mortuus on the vocals. ) 

I was trying to find Aryan Terrorism's Crush the lies for this occasion but it does look like youtube is cracking down hard on anything NS with even a little bit of views 

But as far as Legion goes the shit I have seen came from him acting like a little bitch on stage later in his career with his fucking "FRAAAAAAAAAANCE!!! WE LOVE YOU VERY MUCH!!!!!" after performing a 70 min set about war, death, blood, anti-christianity and satan. That of course won't get well accepted by a black metal audience, and for good reason.

Oh god. For some reason they still drag Marduk to every funderground festival probably because they're the Value Brand of the bands from the 90's ( they must've come to Finland at least once an year ) and the last time I had to see them was when they performed Heaven Shall Burn and as if the music wasn't bad enough, the rock star shit on stage was even worse. The stage moves, the MC's with shit like "black metal maniacs!!" etc. you could've thought it was Wacken. This experience was unsurpassed until I had the misfortune of seeing Rotting Christ live stinking up the place last year after being blown away by Profanatica. 

Edited by Disposable

Weird. Saw Marduk with Mirtuus a few years back and it was truly great. 50 minutes ogf brutal and uncompromising black metal.

Rotting Christ is a tougher nut. I've seen them twice, once on a big stage (500 people) and once on a small stage 100-150) and the big stage gig was awful, but the gig on the snall stage was something completely different. Was like seeing a whole other band.

that's cool! i didn't know about the existence of Sigrblot.thanks for that

to me there's no "better",both Mortuus and Legion are exceptional vocalists,despite of their personalities on stage.However,it's undeniable that MARDUK grew up in the Mortuus era,their music became way more diverse,creative and sometimes cinematic.Never saw them live,i hate gigs.

Edited by Euronymous

i'd pick up OLD STAR,but anything Darkthrone did between the cult is alive and the brand new record still unknown to me,so i still need to find a balance.

So far i stay with Hellfire Ocean Void by Demon head. These danish dudes know what they are doing here. It's their 3rd full length,but the quality of their Doomy 70's hard rock remains the same from the first album.If you enjoy these "Black Sabbath Sons",like LUCIFER,BEASTMAKER,UNCLE ACID,KADAVAR,etc.this is your cup of tea.But there's also new stuff from Abbath,Thy Art is Murder and Carnifex that i've been enjoying a lot.

Edited by Euronymous

Hard to pick any, and I can't really remember everything that's released so far. But these 6 albums are surely contenders to end up on a top 10 of the year at least. Would be surprised if they didn't end up on a top 10. 

Nocturnus AD - Paradox

Tomb Mold - Planetary Clairvoyance

Devil Master - Satan Spits on Children of Light

Nucleus - Entity

Gaahls Wyrd - GastiR - Ghosts Invited

Helheim - Rignir

Absolute favourite of these would probably be Helheim's Rignir. A truly majestic and excellent album!

These would probably be my top faves so far this year:

Drastus - La croix de sang
Sühnopfer - Hic Regnant Borbonii Manes
Ares Kingdom - By the Light of Their Destruction

edit: okay, gotta mention Guttural Slug - Plague of Filth too.

Edited by Jigsaw9

I haven't really liked a Toxic Holocaust release since 2011's Conjure and Command, but I don't really listen to anything beside Evil Never Dies and Hell on Earth, as well as the EPs, singles and splits released around the time of these two albums. Not because anything else is later, but as time went on they kinda lost their edge for me personally. Whereas the early stuff is clearly inspired by Sodom, Bathory, Kreator, Destruction, Venom, old Slayer, Sabbat, Bulldozer, Abigail, Aura Noir and so on, the stuff from An Overdose of Death... and onward had way less black and speed metal and more regular thrash ala Gama Bomb, Bonded by Blood, Havok, Violator and so on. While it probably isn't, I always felt that this type of thrash was harder to do right and felt more generic than the new wave of crossover thrash and black/thrash/speed.

And I do think this track is fairly bland, but the title, artwork and song titles are really cool. Especially the cover art mixed with that album title. It just reeks of early to mid Italian post-apocalyptic cinema. Exterminators of the Year 3000, 2019: After the Fall of New York, 2020 Texas Gladiators, Warriors of the Year 2072, 1990: The Bronx Warriors and similar movies/titles. I just love it.

I liked the debut a lot. Feels like a band that's taken the classic sound of Swedish death metal ala Entombed, Dismember, Grave, Carnage and just given it a bit of a hardcore twist. Debut album isn't classic or anything, but a fun piece of catchy and groovy death metal. This sounds alright too, but not as interesting as the debut. Great vocals tho.

On 8/5/2019 at 6:57 AM, Disposable said:

Business division Marbuck is for ladies when you have the real deal ( Sigrblot is also good and that's most likely Mortuus on the vocals. ) 

I was trying to find Aryan Terrorism's Crush the lies for this occasion but it does look like youtube is cracking down hard on anything NS with even a little bit of views 

Oh god. For some reason they still drag Marduk to every funderground festival probably because they're the Value Brand of the bands from the 90's ( they must've come to Finland at least once an year ) and the last time I had to see them was when they performed Heaven Shall Burn and as if the music wasn't bad enough, the rock star shit on stage was even worse. The stage moves, the MC's with shit like "black metal maniacs!!" etc. you could've thought it was Wacken. This experience was unsurpassed until I had the misfortune of seeing Rotting Christ live stinking up the place last year after being blown away by Profanatica. 

I know he sounds just like Mortuus, but he's not. Just trust me on this. Other than that, no hints... 😀
They probably took after each other's vocals one way or the other, kinda like how all those Brazilians sound the same, or how Fenriz and that guy in Aura Noir/DHG sound a bit alike when they do the drunken viking shout thing.

Rotting Christ's new stuff stinks, but it's palatable for me live, as long as I remember to view it as cheesy fun beer metal. They basically invented the main Greek BM sound, let em coast now.

Edited by hopefully_benign

Last Saturday I was at a festival in Belgium called Metal Méan. It was my first fest ever, and what an experience that was! 

Spoiler

waiting.jpg

The best band was definitely Midnight, they put out a hell of a show (like, literally). Athenar is so fucking cool too, him alone is a show in itself. 

My favorites were Midnight, Asphyx (got to chat with Martin and Alwin, they're awesome) and Zuriaake (really incredible performance, can't wait to see them again). Truth be told, I enjoyed all the concerts that day. The only downside were Au-Dessus, maybe because I didn't enjoy them as much as I think I would... Also, it was a shame that the lead guitarist of Mephorash had trouble with the sound level of his guitar. Vomitory and Incantation were brutal as fuck too. And for Primordial, I was too drunk to enjoy it properly but it was neat. 

Didn't get to see Bloodbath and Tormentor though, because the friend I went with had to work the next day and I depended on him in order to get back home.

Definitely going next year too! 

If you were too drunk to remember Primordial you missed out on something huge. They're just miles and miles ahead of every other metal band out there as far as live gigs goes. Beyond fantastic live.

Other than that, sweet line up. Man!

The new Alcest track is very much recommended. Majestic and beautiful, but pretty heavy compared to their last three albums. Amazing!

5 hours ago, Bear said:

If you were too drunk to remember Primordial you missed out on something huge. They're just miles and miles ahead of every other metal band out there as far as live gigs goes. Beyond fantastic live.

Other than that, sweet line up. Man!

Oh, I remember most of it. It's just that I wish I were sober because I would have enjoyed it more. They're indeed incredible. 

Wow indeed, the new Alcest song is brilliant. Very much looking forward the new album!

New Alcest is amazing! I fucking love Neige and can't wait for the new album. If this new track is any indication, it might even surpass Kodama.

Guess no one has linked the song yet, but here it is anyway:

Just discovered this band, enjoyed their new album quite a bit during the first listen! Apparently they started out as a technical death metal band, but I guess now they'd fit better under the Post-BM umbrella?

Cradle Of Filth‘s 1998 album “Cruelty And The Beast” will be given a new re-release on November 01st via Music For Nations. Titled “Cruelty And The Beast – Re-Mistressed“, the album sports a new mix and mastering job by Scott Atkins and will also feature a bonus cover of Iron Maiden‘s “Hallowed By Thy Name“. New artwork done by Stuart Williamson and revised liner notes from frontman Dani Filth and Dayal Patterson are also included.

Fuck yeah, finally! Really looking forward to this.