The general Metal discussion thread

1 hour ago, Bear said:

Yep, still very Paysage d'Hiver- and Darkspace-esque, and still very good. Looking forward to this for sure. Ey, @Jigsaw9

Thanks for the heads-up! Dunno this band, but sounds pretty damn majestic so far. :D 

Apparently Machine Head are still a thing, and they just released something that's up there with Illud Divinum Insanus in the metal cringe canon.

choice lyrics:
"I don't give a fuck about your stupid little scene
Reaction videos and all your pussy little memes"

"I'M FUCKED UP IN THE HEAAAAD!!!!"

"To all the bitchass internet troll motherfuckers who keep whining and menstrating about how 'Do Or Die' has lyrics from the band DOPE. Here's a little fucking reminder for your moronic nu-metal-brain's, since 1993 in our song 'fuck at all' I've been saying 'c'mon motherfucker c'mon' in the middle break down. Here's video of me in 1995 saying it at Dynamo! It was a good seven years before Dopes 2001's 'Die MF Die' came out you fuckin sausage gobblers!⠀

"DUH!!⠀

"Not to mention that any fucking band on the planet saying '______ motherfucker ______' in any combination (and that goes for COAL CHAMBER, FIVE FINGER DEATH PUNCH, DOPE, and yes, MACHINE HEAD) are all jacking it from 1984's hip hop classic 'The Roof Is On Fire' by Rock Master Scott & The Dynamic Three. Know your fucking musical history fuckboi's!!⠀

"And if I hear one more fucking internet twathole moaning about 'cringe worthy lyrics' while they sit in front of their computers stroking their little fucking boners to the lyrical genius of fucking BABYMETAL, eat a bowl of cock! Because the second the PANTERA's 'walk' comes on, with such lyrical Edgar Allan Poe-esque masterpiece is like 'run your mouth when I'm not around it's easy to achieve' and 'walk on home boy' Or LAMB OF GOD's 'this is a motherfucking invitation' these same fucking brain-donors run right out to the dance floor and start headbanging!⠀And rightly so!!

"P.S. Who the fuck listens to DOPE!!??"

That is Robb Flynn for ya'll. Seems like such a fucking loser, but the guy has been making music or been involved in the metal scene since 1985, but hasn't released anything good since Oppressing the Masses back in 1990. And hell, even Oppressing the Masses is pretty damn weak compared to Eternal Nightmare.  That's almost 30 years of releasing garbage so I really can't blame him for going nuts. I'd probably go nuts too if I went close to 30 without releasing anything listenable, despite numerous attempts.

Hobbs Angel of Death mastermind Peter Hobbs passed away today, only 58 years old. Way too early. Cult legend for sure!

Highly recommend Hobbs Angel of Death for fans of evil 80's thrash metal. The debut Hobbs Angel of Death and demo compilation Hobbs' Satan's Crusade are both must-haves for fans of thrash metal. The band basically sounded like a mix of Slayer's Hell Awaits and Infernäl Mäjesty's None Shall Defy, with a dash of Sodom's In the Sign of Evil and Destruction's Sentence of Death on top of it. Classic stuff!

New Alcest is out and it's a stunning album as usual. Atmospheic and beautiful, but yet with a dark and haunting atmosphere.

The snare sound is out if this world. Sound soooooo good!

Been spinning Alcest's Spiritual Instinct a lot since it dropped, and this album is just magnificent. It could easily have been released on a double album side by side with Kodama. Kodama is the lighter, more uplifting album while Spiritual Instinct is more of the same, but a lot darker. 9/10!

Edited by Bear

Oh, there's drama within the Children of Bodom lair. I usually wouldn't care as this guy have failed to create a single decent tune since 2000's Follow the Reaper, but Janne, Jaska and Henkka have all decided to leave the band. This itself is pretty fucking uninteresting, but what makes this a bit fun and interesting is that it seems like Janne, Jaska and Henkka have registered a trademark on the name Children of Bodom and own it for the next five years. They registered this in June, without Alexi, so that makes it seem like there's some drama involved. Interesting. Hoping for some saucy drama following this.

And something from when the band didn't suck shit-stained asses:

Edited by Bear

This was a surprisingly cool track. Easily their best track since Roots Bloody Roots, and one of very few track post-Arise that's actually good.

Midnight doesn't disappoint, so this is pretty cool. Sleazy and filthy black speed metal.

First new King Diamond track in 12 years, and it rules! Sounds like The Eye part 2, and this is just way, way, way better than every single song on Give Me Your Soul...Please.  Which happens to be the only King Diamond, Mercyful Fate, Black Rose, Brats and Danger Zone release I don't like. This is amazing and I can't wait for the return of the King!

What are peoples thoughts about the remixed and remastered Cruelty and the Beast? I am very impressed by it, but it's so different that it almost sounds like a different version all together. Not quite as different as Dusk and Her Embrace: The Original Sin, but then again that is a completely different recording. But it's different enough that you should have both in your collection IMO.

The drums do sound a bit too modern, but they're not trigger-annoying or anything. Happy about that!

Baron Blood of the Greek titans Necromantia passed away today due to a heart attack. What a shame! He played the 8 string bass in Necromantia. Everyone has to check out Necromantia too. Their two first albums are incredibly unique, despite sounding very Greek. Amazing stuff!

Finally had time to catch up on some metal releases.

Nile - Vile Nilotic Rites: Pretty massive album, for me it was a step up from their previous one (which I didn't hate but didn't love either). Solid stuff.

Blood Incantation - Hidden History of the Human Race: Just overall amazing and intricate. If you want more proggy death, this is the way to go.

Cattle Decapitation - Death Atlas: Their most ambitious release yet. The songs kinda blur into each other for me, but it's one giant slab of awesome.

Cradle of Filth - Cruelty and the Beast (Re-Mistressed): It's okay. That's it.

Still have to check out the latest Mayhem and Obsequiae...

Minenwerfer - Alpenpässe

WW I-themed atmospheric and semi-melodic black metal. Very different from the more brutal Marduk/Truppensturm/Endstille approach of their earlier albums. By far the best they've done so far. Really, really good album.

Strigoi - Strigoi

This EP was released last year, but it's fantastic throughout. Very old school sounding black/death/thrash that somewhat reminds me a lot of Vampire's 2012 demo "Vampire", as well as stuff like Necrovore, Slaughter Lord, Incubus, Treblinka, Poison, Celtic Frost and the likes. Superb EP!

Hallux Valgus - Demo MMVI

This demo is from 2016, but they released an EP last year as well. Two members from Strigoi among others, and they play somewhat similar music as in old school sounding, but Swedish-sounding and way more death metally. Death Breath, first Morbus Chron, Bastard Priest and so on comes to mind.

https://phantasmagore.bandcamp.com/album/abominations

Phantasmagore - Abominations...

This death metal demo was just released and is great. Think Autopsy, Necrophagia, Nunslaughter, Abscess  and the likes. Good shit!

a2768287250_10.jpg

Joel Grind - Echoes in a Crystal Tomb

Joel Grind, the brain behind Toxic Holocaust, returns with a new Joel Grind album. It's more in the same vein as Equinox, so it's not metal. But it's damn fucking good. Where Equinox felt like a John Carpenter and Fabio Frizzi-esque horror score, Echoes in a Crystal Tomb feels more like a slow-burning, highly stylized noir/crime movie score. Think Tangerine Dream's score for Thief or something. Fantastic album!

a0472278905_16.jpg

Venomwolf - Bring Down the Axe

https://venomwolf.bandcamp.com/

Dirty, black speed metal punk in the vein of Midnight, Syphilitic Vaginas, Abigail and more. Old school and awesome!

a2057983205_10.jpg

Tristengrav - II - Nychavgé

Deathrocky black metal for fans of Devil Master and Cape of Bats. Really good, atmospheric black metal. Like a soundtrack to an old vampire movie.

v8zswi8.png

Oh hell yeah! It's been no less than 12 years since Hornets of the Pogrom, so this is great news. Looking forward to this.