The general Metal discussion thread

New album is out and it's a step up for sure. I thought Cult of a Dying Sun was close to awful, but this sounds great. Maybe even more Dissection-esque than before, but I am more than fine with that.

Viking-era Bathory worship to the core, and some of the best Bathory worship I've ever heard. His debut album, "

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum", was more in the vain of "Blood Fire Death", and it's pretty good. But "Odes" is all about "Twilight of the Gods" and it's absolutely brilliant. There's not a single second of originality on the entire album, but I'm fine with that as "Twilight of the Gods" are among my favourite albums ever, and this is basically a part 2. Not quite as good, but not too far away either. His third album of original material, "Collapse", was more in the vain of the thrashing "Requiem". It's also good, but "Odes" is, by far, his masterpiece so far. It's absolutely amazing.

His second album was a Bathory cover album, and it's fine but he never reaches the originals or adds anything new to the songs, so I'd rather just listen to the original songs. 

Edited by Bear

805572.jpg?3745

https://yothiria.bandcamp.com/releases

Jim Mutilator (who played on classic Rotting Christ and Varathron albums like Passage to Arcturo, Thy Mighty Contract, Non Serviam and His Majesty at the Swamp) and Magus Wampyr Daoloth (Necromantia, as well as having played on Thy Mighty Contract and Non Serviam)  have joined forces and created a brilliant piece of epic, Greek black metal in the vein of Triarchy of the Lost Lovers. Yeah, I did say Triarchy of the Lost Lovers and not Thy Mighty Contract, Passage to Arcturo or His Majesty at the Swamp. Under His Sway sounds like Rotting Christ anno 95-96, and if someone had told me that this was recorded around that time I would've been fooled simply because it sounds like it was written in the same time period as Triarchy of the Lost Lovers. Brilliant EP!

D-beat black metallers Paranoid er out raising hell, and they are doing it in such a fucking fantastic way. Everything they release are just beyond fucking great, and this album is no exception. What a fantastic band. Darkthrone meets Discharge meets Iron Maiden and The Casualties or something. 

Edited by Bear

One the greatest modern day power/speed metal titans releasing their 11th album in December. And I already own all Iron Savior albums :rock: 
Looks like I already know what I wanna for Christmas.

884116.jpg?2739

Satan's Fall - Final Day

Satan's Fall have been impressed massively with their Mercyful Fate and NWOBHM inspired material, and personally I just can't wait for this. If this is anywhere near the quality of the earlier stuff it's gonna be immense. 

888993.jpg?5248

Bròn - Pred dverima noći

Bron is a weird one. Started out as an absolutely magnificent atmospheric black metal band, before starting to release some ambient/downtempo stuff of varying quality. It's not bad, just not all that. But whenever Bron release some black metal I'm super excited, because the quality is top notch. This will consist of three tracks and I hope they're black metal. This is interesting.

Mr. Bungle's first new album in 21 years. Came out October 30. Awesome Thrash, Crossover, hardcore punk.

Edited by Mamo

New track from Scour, the side project of Philip H. Anselmo, John Jarvis, Derek Engemann, Adam Jarvis and Mark Kloeppel. Check out the track and ask yourself "whois the guest vocalist on this track? hmmm. who can it be?". Trust me, you'll never figure it out without seeing/reading it.

Jason-Momoas-Hottest-Moments-landing.jpg

Yep, that is right. Hollywood hunk Jason Momoa guest on the track. What the actual fuck? That was quite surprising.

I dont have much to say besides I checked out the latest releases from mors principium est and the black dahlia murder to see if I have much of a desire to get back into melodeath banda. New mpe was excellent and idk about new tbdm, I feel like it's fine but I also feel like everything they make sounds the same in recent releases 

New track from the upcoming Ghetto Ghouls EP, Out for Justice. Check it out and share it with both friends and foes. The full EP wil drop on the 20th of November.

@Visutox

@Jigsaw9 

Edited by Bear

This thread deserves some Dark Tranquility awesomeness.

Because their next album will be out on November 20th, and promises to be AWESOMELY AWESOME:

(All 3 songs are from said-album)

13 minutes ago, VESSMIER said:

So the new Anaal Nathrakh is pretty dope, what you guys think?

I'm actually not too impressed by it. I've only listened to it once tho, so that might change... it checks the usual Nathrakh boxes, but this time it doesn't grab me like their previous album (which felt like a nice kick in the balls...of my ears :)).

Edited by Jigsaw9

Haven't liked a single Anaal Nathrakh since Eschaton, and this did nothing to change that.

But on a positive note, this EP is released this friday:

895865.jpg?1740

Four tracks of angry yet catchy-as-hell thrashmetalpunk in honor of four brilliant action flicks from the 90's. Remember to check it out as soon as you get up on friday, cuz it's gonna be worth it. No cap!

New Accept album, 5th one with Mark Tornillo on vocals coming out in January. Not only catchy as hell, it does also have the feel of Blood of The Nations, which is a really good thing!

Prove me wrong but I really can't see phenomenon of Nuclear Blast Records. I feel this label only gathers "popular artists", which isn't always equal to good music. There are some exceptions (my favourite so far is WEDNESDAY 13, although I am disappointed by his last music video - Devil Inside) obviously but it doesn't really change my mind.

You can't see the phenomenon behind a label that either picked up or just released demos, EPs and albums early, early in the career of bands like Pungent Stench, Disharmonic Orchestra, Atrocity, Incubus, Abomination, Master, Toxic Shock, Benediction, Messiah, Dismember, Speckmann Project, Meshuggah, Revenant, Suffocation, Death Strike, Winter, Mortification, Monstrosity, Sinister, Hypocrisy, Gorefest, Amorphis, Disembowelment, General Surgery, Kataklysm, Macabre, Incantation, Convulse, Horde, Therion, The Abyss, Dissection, In Flames, HammerFall, Dimmu Borgir just to mantion a few. And again, these weren't HUGE bands at the moment Nuclear Blast picked 'em up, far from it. A lot of them were still rather unknown demo bands, and Nuclear Blast helped release their first EPs/albums. A lot of these bands became huge BECAUSE of Nuclear Blast, not the other way around.

Nuclear Blast is a massive label because they did more or less everything right since they started back in the last 80's, and for the next 10 years or so they would go on to be HUGE for underground extreme metal and really deserve the status they have today. Around 98 they started picking up a lot of different bands too, becoming equally important for the heavy and power metal scene too.

Nuclear Blast still release plenty good music too, tbh. Loads and loads of good releases every single year. Don't get the hate towards 'em at all, despite all the shit they have released, and continue to release, but that goes for most labels.

On 11/17/2020 at 7:56 AM, Bear said:

You can't see the phenomenon behind a label that either picked up or just released demos, EPs and albums early, early in the career of bands like Pungent Stench, Disharmonic Orchestra, Atrocity, Incubus, Abomination, Master, Toxic Shock, Benediction, Messiah, Dismember, Speckmann Project, Meshuggah, Revenant, Suffocation, Death Strike, Winter, Mortification, Monstrosity, Sinister, Hypocrisy, Gorefest, Amorphis, Disembowelment, General Surgery, Kataklysm, Macabre, Incantation, Convulse, Horde, Therion, The Abyss, Dissection, In Flames, HammerFall, Dimmu Borgir just to mantion a few. And again, these weren't HUGE bands at the moment Nuclear Blast picked 'em up, far from it. A lot of them were still rather unknown demo bands, and Nuclear Blast helped release their first EPs/albums. A lot of these bands became huge BECAUSE of Nuclear Blast, not the other way around.

Nuclear Blast is a massive label because they did more or less everything right since they started back in the last 80's, and for the next 10 years or so they would go on to be HUGE for underground extreme metal and really deserve the status they have today. Around 98 they started picking up a lot of different bands too, becoming equally important for the heavy and power metal scene too.

Nuclear Blast still release plenty good music too, tbh. Loads and loads of good releases every single year. Don't get the hate towards 'em at all, despite all the shit they have released, and continue to release, but that goes for most labels.

Pretty much this - I myself follow Nuclear Blast release schedule and it helped me so much with discovering great bands all the time. I've seen so many metal bands, both new and old ones releasing quality albums. But I don't do that just with NB. Napalm Records and AFM also have made a lot contribution, especially the former one! My favourites from AFM include Brothers of Metal, Orden Ogan, Arion, Dynazty, Iron Savior, Shakra. And that's just the tip of the iceberg 😀

I've only ever seen Nuclear Blast used as dirty word in my circles. They were good in the old days (because let's face it, underground metal was generally good back then), but kinda became a label for flowery melodeath and rising black metal bands looking for a "crossover" audience by the late 90s. Some of that stuff was good, some of it not so much.

Yeah, Nuclear Blast did make a lot of bands into a big deal in the 90s, but they did so by encouraging them to switch to a really cookie cutter sound. Did Dimmu Borgir start sucking because they signed to Nuclear Blast, or did Nuclear Blast sign Dimmu Borgir because they decided to start sucking? Kind of a chicken & egg question.

After that, total Wackencore territory with the same handful of producers giving everything the exact same plastic sound. I guess there's an audience for it somewhere, but eh...
Fun fact, the guy who runs the label only likes obscure 80s hardcore/crust punk these days, and doesn't give a shit about metal.

Edited by hopefully_benign

897260.jpg?4636

Evil - Possessed by Evil

https://nuclearwarnowproductions.bandcamp.com/album/possessed-by-evil

The Japanese black metallers in Evil released one of the very best albums of 2017, and judging from the new track Reaper this ain't gonna be no worse. Think fellow Japanese black metallers Sabbat and Abigail, as well as a hint of old Slayer, Bathory and Mercyful Fate. Glorious stuff!

899832.jpg?3235

Stjärnfält - Ascension

https://stjarnfalt.bandcamp.com/album/ascension

This album is truly magnificent. Sugarcoated ambient/atmospheric black metal. Think Lustre meats Mesarthim. Fantastic album!

880388.jpg?2938

Aside from gathering his old bandmates Grave Violator and Chris Witchhunter to re-record the surprisingly awesome The Final Sign of Evil, kicking out Markus Freiwald and Bernemann and replacing them with Frank Blackfire (Sodom 87-89) and Tormentor/Husky is by far the best choices Tom Angelripper and Sodom has done in the past 20 years. It's probably their best album since Code Red (with the exception of The Final Sign of Evil of course!!!). It's heavier, thrashier, grittier and way more focused than everything since then. The tracks are much closer to 80's thrash, than that of the gothenburg-inspired and  groove-ladden mamojambo they've done in the previous 20 years. The productions feels a bit off, maybe a bit too modern, but the overall sound here is closer to Agent Orange and Persecution Mania, than that of Sodom, In War and Pieces, Epitome of Torture and Decision Day. It's just thrashier and rougher. Surprise of the year? Well, shouldn't be after all these EPs and singles have showedcased some promise, but I am still greatly surprised. Good to have Sodom back.