The general Metal discussion thread

Should get around listening to that soon. I've only heard the second Lantlos album and thought it was great and at times amazing in atmosphere. Though "the hype you know" from the post above reminded me of Old Silver Key which i thought was shit.

I have to agree with Old Silver Key. With the exception of maybe 1 track, I couldn't get into the album. I still feel like the new Lantlos is pretty good but it's not better than .neon IMO.

Anyone listening to good ol' Necrophagia here? They just announced their next album titled Whiteworm Cathedral for 2012 Halloween! Really looking forward to it. Here's a 'Halloween present' demo from the guys. :mrgreen:

P9GCQKZg1Yk

I've only heard the one album with Sigh's Mirai in it... actually I think there was more albums with him too, but anyway the album was Harvest Ritual Volume I and I remember thinking it was good. Only heard it once or twice though. Too bad i usually mix them by accident to the shit-fest called NecrophagIST which is awful wank. Which also reminds me of the amazing description found on Anus.com's article Metal bands to love to hate:

Musical illiteracy is a ripoff musician's best friend. People do not understand how melodies should develop over the course of a song, and how technical playing without a goal creates chaos and fragments your consciousness, not builds on it. Necrophagist play melodies, all right. They play short blasts of melody over and over again, very quickly. Then the song jumps to something unrelated and obviously "different." It's like a sampler plate at a restaurant, a little bit of everything so you don't have to choose what you want. Then it jumps back. And back again. And then it's over. The vocals are like the chant of an auctioneer. The riffs are advancing guitar exercises. Drums are what you'd expect from a failed jazz drummer on tons of meth trying to cover Nine Inch Nails. The end result? A lot of distracting, directionless crap. But people like it because it's more technical than what you are listening to, therefore they must be smarter. QED, muddafugga.

^ LOL. xD Haven't tried Necrophagist myself, but maybe I won't either in the future, based on this... :lol:

Yep, Mirai is featured on these: The Divine Art of Torture, Harvest Ritual Vol. I, Goblins Be Thine (EP). These are really cool albums, so I recommend them, plus the 1998 album Holocausto de la Morte is quite awesome as well. Their latest album Death Trip 69 is okay too (though no more Mirai there), with some interesting/unusual bits.

funfact: the new Lantlos record is a legit troll geared towards all the "blackgaze" kiddies who hopped on after .neon. it's funny how the dude hates half his fanbase, but i don't blame him.

Hey! I hopped on after .neon :P

Although yes, I do get what you're saying. The only four "blackgaze" bands I listen to that fall into that "genre" would be Alcest, Heretoir, Lantlos and Amesoeurs. I'd throw Les Discrets in there but they're mostly post-rock. I have little incentive to go deeper into the scene because the rest of it sounds like people trying to redo Alcest's Souvenirs... and failing at it. Hell, even Neige sounds like he's beginning to repeat that formula because Tales of Wandering failed to do anything remotely interesting. It sounded nice...and that was it.

I still don't think that the new Lantlos sounds all that bad but it's still not as good as .neon. I need to listen to their first full-length sometime soon.

I suppose it's a name for bands that are somewhere between black metal and shoegaze?

Dunno, I never heard the word either even though I apparently listen to several of those bands. XD

Probably. Personally I'm not overly fond of all too convoluted and/or compartmentalized genre descriptions, but that's because I suck at assigning genres anyway.

the people really into that scene use dumb terms like "blackgaze" or "blackwave" (which I think is even sillier than the former) to categorize the music. pretty much any band trying for that style except the big name ones are literally either copying Alcest or copying Amesoeurs and instantly get a huge fanbase of kids who think they're ultra original and talented. any band who dares to try something different instantly get slammed. learned that from experience! I have stories upon stories relating to this, but I don't think this is the place for them.

backing up to Agape, I actually really like it. I can understand some of the complaints about it feeling short, but it's definitely not bad. it's more like a doom/sludge album with jazz and black metal influences than anything else, and that's really interesting.

the people really into that scene use dumb terms like "blackgaze" or "blackwave" (which I think is even sillier than the former) to categorize the music. pretty much any band trying for that style except the big name ones are literally either copying Alcest or copying Amesoeurs and instantly get a huge fanbase of kids who think they're ultra original and talented.

The Black Metal scene 101. DSBM, NSBM, """"""Blackened""""" Crust, Postwhatever-BM and more in the past and the future. Probably the most trend-ridden genre I know.

Just discovered Vektor, great US progressive-thrash (or whatever). Their logo might look like a Voivod ripoff but their music is a bit different IMO. Very intense thrashin', coloured with some nice melodic spacey passages and proggy parts, and an insane vocalist (those shrieks, OMG). I like how their sound builds on old-school bands but giving it their own modern style. I recommend them! :) They have 2 albums out by the way (and a small handful of demos).

Some examples:

z7G7iYCxK9U

A64Tdl0f7Zk

Initially I was a bit hesitant to try this band, one because they're kind of batch in with Black Metal which is alright. I can only take it in small dosages (really small dosages) and also apparently some of their lyrics can be kinda racist (but that's typical for black metal anyway). I don't speak Ukrainian so whatever racist neo-nazi message they may sing about just kind goes right over my head, but usually on principle I don't really want to support a band that sends and supports that kind of message. Not that I'm an overly sensitive butthurt pansy, I STILL HAVE SOME STANDARDS OKAY LOL?

Anyway, this song hands down is amazing. It really shocked me, I did not expect to hear this at all when I gave this band a go. This is probably my new favouritist song ever until I find another favouristis song ever because I'm fickle like that.

5hY5Obwfq5k

The whole album is fantastic but this track is absolutely perfect.

You're right, that song is pretty aweseome. I'm also pretty indignant about racist/nazi stuff in lyrics (but in black and folk metal the line is sometimes very thin anyway and I hate idiots shouting "nazi!" at any random band because they use runes in their logo or whatever. I've seen people calling bands like Moonsorrow nazis which is just plain bullshit.)

I always thought that with Nokturnal Mortum the case is more obvious - or at least was, not sure how it has been in recent years. But musically that is pretty impeccable.

I have noticed that an obvious reoccurring theme in Folk Metal is showing pride in your heritage and there's nothing wrong with that. It's just that, it's a subject can easily slip more towards racism or misunderstood and with several bands toting themselves as Folk, Pagan or whatever but promoting racist ideals it pollutes the genre and can bring down other legitimate artists that have nothing to do with racism and hate.

Anyway, I guess people argue that with Nokturnal Mortum their earlier stuff promoted that message but they were a young band and that the newer material is considered Pagan Metal if that's even a real genre.

Nokturnal Mortum is still an amazing band and still most likely as racist as ever before considering the bands they perform with like Dub Buk, Stormheit etc.

Also the two main guys of Nokturnal Mortum are responsible for the band

. Still not sure if the project was a joke or not, considering songs like Crush The Lies :lol:

Also the two main guys of Nokturnal Mortum are responsible for the band
. Still not sure if the project was a joke or not, considering songs like Crush The Lies :lol:

This is so obnoxious that you could lie to me and tell me it's a Visual Kei band from the 90s and I may actually believe you because it's just that silly.

Man though, it sucks that band is so racist because the album Golos Stali is such a wicked release. I just have this feeling that if these guys had the opportunity they'd have no problem bludgeoning me to death since they'd probably consider me to be part of an inferior race. If not me, then people I consider friends or family they'd probably have no problem dragging their bodies behind their car if they could get away with it. Hey, maybe they aren't violent but then again with a band called Aryan Terrorism yeeeeeeaaaaaaaahhh, kind of hard trying to NOT have the imagery associated with them.

People should try some Dominia (if they already haven't)

iDiou95Kqgc

Band's music is often strongly driven by violin, which is pretty cool since melodies are often quite nice. Otherwise I guess their music would be something between death and Black metal, not very Tr00000 or Br000tal stuff though.

Oh awesome! Thanks for the link! Digging that song!

So I bought the album The World; The Flesh: The Devil on a whim from a band called In Solitude. I saw them being promoted on a forum and OW MY FUCKING BALLS this is so good. One of the best albums to come out in 2011. Nothing ground breaking but it's just pure fucking perfect heavy metal. I really dig the vocals though, he reminds me of Calabrese's vocalist and seems like something that would be in a classic punk band. No complaints, I think his voice is fantastic!

aZ9thguGySI

^ Haha, I'm glad others are finding about In Solitude as well, they're awesome! Like stuck in a timewarp eternally listening to Mercyful Fate (without the falsetto vocals). :D I agree the singer's voice is really cool (I tend to steer away from most 'classic' sounding heavy metal because the singing turns me off), and the music manages to remain interesting throughout.

I really suggest listening to their first (self-titled) album too, it's really good. I like it better than this one, the songs aren't as long.