The general Metal discussion thread

So the self titled came today, I really like the album but prefer The World. This version is obviously a bit more raw and still seems as though they are still trying to flesh out and refined their sound and production is obviously a bit lower. I think I have been spoiled by the 2011 release, perhaps if I had heard this release first instead? Either way, still a pretty good album but doesn't blow my mind like the new album. From the self titled, 7th Ghost, Temple Of The Unknown and Witches Sabbath I really like but subject to change as I listen to the album more and more.

So the self titled came today, I really like the album but prefer The World. This version is obviously a bit more raw and still seems as though they are still trying to flesh out and refined their sound and production is obviously a bit lower. I think I have been spoiled by the 2011 release, perhaps if I had heard this release first instead? Either way, still a pretty good album but doesn't blow my mind like the new album. From the self titled, 7th Ghost, Temple Of The Unknown and Witches Sabbath I really like but subject to change as I listen to the album more and more.

Yeah, it's more "low-budget" overall. :lol: I tend to listen to stuff in chronological order so maybe I didn't really notice it that way. And yeah, those are cool songs! :mrgreen:

LOL @ the logos, only seen the Coldplay one before. Good find! xDDD

Yeah Black Metal is all cheese, I don't know why people (the fans) just can't see that.

e5UXfU7PSdM

Blind Guardian released an album with rerecordings of old songs, I think the new version of Valhalla is great. I had grown to prefer the recording of this song then the studio but this version is great. I know the band hates playing it haha

Is anyone watching Metal Evolution?

http://www.vh1.com/shows/metal_evolution/series.jhtml

I started watching it now that it's online, unfortunately I believe it is not available outside of the US. Canadian users can find it here.

I just finished the Glam episode and I laugh because I see the similarities glam has with VK hyukhyukhyuk. Dudes want to be rock stars but to get people to come to their shows they doll themselves up and play ballads or lighter toons (often times begrudgingly) to get the ladies to throw money at them.

Downside is they won't be covering Folk, Doom, Death or Black metal, which is pretty unfortunate. It seems to mainly focus on the US and UK and not so much Europe but I just finished the Glam episode so perhaps they'll touch a bit more on European bands.

Yeah :-\ Maybe you can find it by other means. I could only find the Canadian mirror because I knew that this was limited to US viewers only. Maybe proxies work?

I just finished the Thrash episode and it only briefly covered Death Metal, only mentions Black Metal and talked a little bit about the Gothenberg metal scene but if that's all we're gonna get about those sub-genres that kinda sucks. I guess the network didn't want to fund those episodes or maybe they're doing a second season. I read that Sam Dunn has a DVD that gets down and dirty with all the metal sub-genres.

Why March? Why??? :(

I know haha! I have now made efforts to purge the song from my memories (lots of wine) because I began to immediately regret listening to it BECAUSE I WANT THAT ALBUM NOW!! Fuuuuuuu I won't listen to it again until the album comes out ;0;

Sooo~ anyone else listening to some Cannibal Corpse? The new album leaked today. I'm only on my second listen but this will easily be one of my fave metal albums this year, I can already feel it. :) Lately they've been improving from album to album, and this one is no exception: lots of catchy and brutal moments as well! Especially Alex (bassist) shines more, intense and well-mixed/audible bass playing, with the occasional jaw-dropping rapid solo. Almost every song has something memorable, so I recommend it to fans of death metal (to just casual or more "hardcore" listeners as well). Oh, and the production is superb and powerful as well! The sound quality mixed with the intense music almost makes their earlier records feel like pop-metal, haha.

Sooo~ anyone else listening to some Cannibal Corpse? The new album leaked today. I'm only on my second listen but this will easily be one of my fave metal albums this year, I can already feel it. :) Lately they've been improving from album to album, and this one is no exception: lots of catchy and brutal moments as well! Especially Alex (bassist) shines more, intense and well-mixed/audible bass playing, with the occasional jaw-dropping rapid solo. Almost every song has something memorable, so I recommend it to fans of death metal (to just casual or more "hardcore" listeners as well). Oh, and the production is superb and powerful as well! The sound quality mixed with the intense music almost makes their earlier records feel like pop-metal, haha.

good review. I listen this album today and like it a lot , it has wery awesome guitar playing.

Anyone else excited about Marduk's new album? Here are the details, fresh off of their Facebook:

We here announce the track list and the release info for the forthcoming 12th studio album Serpent Sermon!! You can also here withness the album cover. The album will be made available as standard cd, vinyl and limited edition media book with an exclusive bonus track entitled " Coram Satanae".

1. Serpent Sermon

2. Messianic Pestilence

3. Souls For Belial

4. Into Second Death

5. Temple Of Decay

6. Damnation's Gold

7. Hail Mary (Piss-soaked Genuflexion)

8. M.A.M.M.O.N

9. Gospel Of The Worm

10. World Of Blades

STREETDATES:

GERMANY / AUSTRIA / SWITZERLAND / NORWAY: Friday, May 25, 2012.

UK / BENELUX / FRANCE / GREECE / DENMARK / PORTUGAL / REST OF EUROPE:

Monday, May 28, 2012.

SPAIN / ITALY: Tuesday, May 29, 2012.

SWEDEN / FINLAND / HUNGARY: Wednesday, May 30, 2012.

AUSTRALIA / NEW ZEALAND: Friday, June 1, 2012.

USA/CAN, June 5, 2012

tumblr_m15g3zOoYn1qipzv0o1_500.png

Song titles are typical Marduk, however that cover art is more minimal than what they're known for. Looking forward to this one!

Is anyone familiar with the french Band Akphaezya?

You can call it Avantgarde/Progressive Metal/Rock Opera, whatever floats your Boat. Their second Album called "Anthology IV: The Tragedy Of Nerak" will be out soon.

Nice Video,btw.

Just got into this Italian brutal/tech death band called Hour of Penance, they're pretty kickass. Their new album Sedition leaked recently, killer stuff.

wIdZ-OK3OQ0

H6cSZ7YrEcI

Discovered a cool lil' band/project today. They're called The Grotesquery, and they play old-school death metal (kinda mixture of US and Swedish styles I guess?), with occult/Lovecraftian themes forming concept albums. So I guess that makes them like the King Diamond of death metal? lol. I suggest giving them a try, really cool atmosphere. They only have 2 albums out by the way, both equally entertaining.

dv8H3ILdki4

AicOefGRFRo

Look at this sweet vid I just found: CHURCH OF MISERY live at Hellfest 2011 :rawk:(DAT BASS from 06:58!)

They're so awesome, probably my favorite Japanese metal band.

yup, that one is great!! i'd step on a lego to see a performance of megalomania in that kind of quality...

the other hellfest-video's are equally awesome, the melvins one in particular,

khxJ1pxoSm0&hd=1

dual-drumsets for the friggin win... :P