The general Metal discussion thread

Joel Grind of Toxic Holocaust fame just announced a new War Ripper EP called "Strength in Numbers", the first release since War Ripper's 2007 masterpiece "Hellstorm". Looking forward to this as "Hellstorm" is among his best material to date.

Vothana released tons of demos between 03 and 08, as well as a few demos and splits, before going silent for a decade. Then he returned with this masterpiece of an album, as well as an EP and four splits in 2019, and he's continued the activity this year with a few splits, an EP and a new album released today. Looking forward to hearing as much as possible. Everything I've heard from his discography has been pure gold.

For fans of Moonblood and Mütiilation. Superb stuff!

I'm totally late to the party, but I'm in the middle of listening to the new Hail Spirit Noir album. It's pretty interesting so far, I like it. The synth sounds and the whole atmosphere is just top-notch. I kinda remember the vocals on their previous releases being a bit more "rough" tho, or is that just me? Anyway, solid stuff so far.

They've added a new vocalist since their last albums. Cons Marg, who's been playing live with them since 2016 joined them for full in 2018. Dimitris Dimitrakopoulos did te clean vocals for the first three albums, and personally I think he's way, way, way better and more interesting than Cons Marg.

The album itself tho is really good, and I really like that they've changed up a bit again. The album sounds very 80's.

859176.png?2331

https://bastardpriest.bandcamp.com/

And Bastard Priest is coming out with a new ep, almost ten years after their previous release. Swedish death metal inspired by Dismember, Entombed, Nihilist etc. but with a more crusty influence. The overall sound is more punky, although it's swedish as fuck. Both albums and demos are brilliant, and this sounds superb too.

17/Jul/2020 PROSCRIPTOR MCGOVERN'S APSU SIGNS WITH AGONIA RECORDS

Agonia Records today confirms the signing of the new, Texas-based “mythological occult metal” act Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû. The debut/self-titled album’s release date is to be announced in the latter portion of 2020.

When drummer/vocalist Proscriptor (Russ R. Givens) dissolved Absu on January 27th 2020, his main intention was to splinter the 30-year old faction into a renewed songwriting concord. Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû is the obvious by-product of that chemical breakdown and securing the ranks is continuing bassist/vocalist Ezezu and new guitar virtuoso Vaggreaz. 

Proscriptor says of the resurgence: “I want people to know that I disbanded Absu to form Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû with underpinning intention, despite the inclusion of my name, as an armorial bearing to pay tribute to the former sanctuary. I do not consider myself the band’s leader, but more of an administrator. I may be an oppressive commissioner, but Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû is an equal, collective unit.”

Proscriptor continues regarding the album’s lyrical approach: “This album is written for those who are curious and unwearied in their quest of arcane knowledge. I have (with vast exertion and detriment of time and space) collected knowledge deemed, in regard to my subject theories of ‘mythological occult metal:’ from Thelemic Magick and The Zos Vel Thanatos Formula to Fractal Ontology and (obviously) Near East Mythology.”

The album is being chronicled at studios around the world with final mixing being handled in Dallas, Texas by J.T. Longoria and mastering by Karl Daniel Lidén in Sweden. The album also features guest appearances from Vorskaath (Zemial), Ross Friedman (Ross The Boss), Jeff Becerra (Possessed), Rune Eriksen (Aura Noir/Vltimas), Alex Colin-Tocquaine (Agressor) and The Dark (Agatus). To assemble the album’s packaging with ten separate portrait illustrations, the band has re-commissioned the expertise of renowned Polish artist Zbigniew Bielak.

Final track listing for “Proscriptor McGovern’s Apsû” is:

I. Amenta: Accelerando: Azyn including Hierophantasmal Expounder
II. Esoterically Excoriating The Exoteric
III. Quasaric Pestilence
IV. Mirroracles
V. In-Betweeness Gateway Commuters
VI. Jupiter In Capricornus
VII. Dedicated To Thoth, But Azathoth Wasn’t Listening (A Necroloquy)
VIII. Caliginous Whorl
IX. The Coagulating Respite
X.  Prana: Therion: Akasha
XI. Tantrums Of Azag-Kkû
XII. Every Watchtower Within Is The Axis Of A Watchtower Without including Totemic Thresholds

PROSCRIPTOR MCGOVERN’S APSÛ is:

Proscriptor McGovern – Drums/Percussion, Lyricism, Maestro Echoplex, Papago Flute, (Analogue & Digital) Synthesizers & Voices (1st Person Protagonist)

Vaggreaz – Electric Lead, Rhythm & Acoustic Guitar (2nd Person Inquisitor)

Ezezû – Electric Bass Guitar, Implements & Voices (3rd Person Omniscient)

Motherfucking yes! Superb news. Haven't been a fan of their recent outputs, but still excited as hell and the guest list for the new album is absolutely insane. This could easily become one monster of an album. Maybe about time I give their recent outputs a new, fair chance as well.

Linkin park is dead (long before Chesters suicide) nu metals repetitive 

Rap is shite nowadays

obscure bands have little to no chance to land a record deal

Metal is forgotten from the new world 

Silence is better

865705.jpg?5325

Isengard - Varjevndögn

"The new, third album of unreleased vintage cult metal from the classic solo project created by Darkthrones Fenriz. Isengard initially started in 1989 by Fenriz - one the key driving forces behind Norwegian legends Darkthrone. Under the Isengard moniker, Fenriz released 2 albums encapsulating doom, death, black & Folk/Viking metal in the shape of 'Vinterskugge' & 'Høstmørke', & finally we welcome the third addition to this cult project. This new series of tracks - which were thought to be lost - Everything performed and engineered by Fenriz himself all recorded between 1989 & 1993 using the infamous Necrohell Studios. The booklet includes liner notes from Fenriz explaining the origins of the release, the recording process, & some background into his influences at the time. Vinyl."

Tracks :

1. CULT METAL
2. DRAGON FLY (PROCEED UPON THE JOURN
3. FLOATING WITH THE ANCIENT TIDE
4. THE FRIGHT
5. A SHAPE IN THE DARK
6. SLASH AT THE SUN
7. ROCKEMILLION
8. THE LIGHT
9. THE SOLAR WINDS MANTRA

Motherfucker! Isn't this some of the best news of the year? This is something I really can't wait for. Both albums are beyond brilliant, and knowing this is recorded between 89 and 93 just makes me even more excited. 

865918.jpg?5126

https://gravewurm.bandcamp.com/album/night-creatures-2020-album-original-and-remastered-versions

So Gravewürm, the AC/DC of black metal, are about to release their second album of the year. And the entire album is up on bandcamp. It's like their other albums, no more no less.

863286.jpg?1141

Swedish black thrashers Pagan Rites is about to release their first album since 2010, and it's a double album. Could be good, this. Good band.

860682.jpg?1957

https://toxikdeath.bandcamp.com/track/malicious-assassin

Norwegian black thrashers Töxik Death are gonna release their second album this year, and the debut is good this sounds even better.

New track from Emyn Muil's upcoming album "Afar Angathfark". Emyn Muil's last album, Elenion Ancalima, was an absolute masterclass in how to make Summoning-esque epic/atmospheric black metal, and judging from this track this won't be any different. A medieval take on the classic Summoning sound. Gorgeous!

I don't know if it's a coincidence or not, but David Seys who did the spoken words on track 3 and 8 on Summoning's "Old Mornings Dawn", are doing the spoken words on track 3 and 8 on "Afar Angathfark". That's weird. But looking forward to it.

Apparently I'm the only person supporting GOSPOD (fka VLADYKA) via bandcamp (they also have a vkontakte page at least), and they're pretty fucking good for being a Batushka band (lol). The only complaint I have however is that their songs are too short and are a bit repetitive, but I love it nonetheless.

https://gospod.bandcamp.com/album/deceased

After the joke that Batushka has become I've decided that the only real Batushka is Batyushka. 14 full lengths since September 12th, 2019. That's impressive!

872665.jpg?5622

Macabre Omen - Anamneses

New EP from Macabre Omen, five years after their second album Gods of War - At War. Their debut, The Ancient Returns, is a god damned masterpiece and their second album, Gods of War - At War, is really a fantastic album. So this is something I really can't wait for. Unique and epic pagan black metal. Bathory's "Twilight of the Gods" meets traditional Greek black metal from the 90's. 

2020is the year that keeps giving. Holy shit!

873454.jpg?0934

Sale Freux - Le dernier corbeau du monde

Sale Freux  does not know how to disappoint. Still has a lot of elements of the first Peste Noire and their demos, but I don't mind that. This shit is just absolutely gorgeous in its melancholic grimness and ugliness.

866565.jpg?3201

Drakonhail - L'autre lieu

Solo project by Dunkel, the main guy in Sale Freux. It's more lo-fi and a the overall atmosphere is totally different, but so far every Drakonhail release has been amazing. Can't wait to hear this!

873524.jpg?2847

Wytch Hazel - III: Pentecost

Wytch Hazel has, so far, made some of the very best Christian heavy metal/hard rock ever, and I really can't wait for this. Thin Lizzy meets Pagan Altar meets Angel Witch.

829041.jpg?0550

Tøronto - Under Siege

A new EP from Sweden's speed metallers Tøronto, featuring members and ex-members from Morbus Chron,  Lethal Steel and  Temisto. Earilier stuff has been great and this EP sounds amazing as well. There's a few more songs on youtube. Sounds terrific!

836667.jpg?0733

Blazon Rite - Dulce Bellum Inexpertis E.P.

Heavy metal of the more epic kind that's among the best releases of 2020 so far. It's just different, unique and absolutely fantastic.

831129.jpg?0257

Devil's Poison - Street Metal Attack

Raw and catchy black speed metal. Think Hellripper, Midnight, Venom and Bathory. Great album!

866280.jpg?3153

Evoke - Seeds of Death

Black speed metal that just cruches. Both demos are brilliant, and this sounds amazing too.

872443.jpg?5501

Johansson & Speckmann - The Germs of Circumstance

If you're unfamiliar with Johansson & Speckmann, this is Paul Speckmann (Master, Death Strike, Funeral Bitch, Abomination etc.) and Rogga Johansson (Paganizer, Putrevore, Revolting, Ribspreader etc) and a couple of friends playing death metal in the vein of Master, Death Strike, Abomination etc. You know what you're getting, and it's usually pretty damn good.

874302.jpg?1438

Occult Burial - Burning Eerie Lore

https://invictusproductions666.bandcamp.com/album/burning-eerie-lore

New album from these Canadian black thrashers. Bathory meets Sodom, Venom and Nifelheim. New track is incredible!

864992.jpg?3428

Necrophobic - Dawn of the Damned

New track is more of the same, but really, really good. Should be a good album.

New Stälker is coming and this song is ripping, just as expected after the brilliant speed metal masterpiece that is Shadow of the Sword and the incredible demo Satanic Panic. These vocals, man. Just superb really!

There's been many good metal covers of Bloody Tears from Castlevania, but this takes the entire fucking cake. Holy shit, this was more than excellent!

Oh man, this was magnificent. Not sure I ever heard the demo, but after hearing this track I really can't wait to hear the whole thing. Epic and medieval black metal. The video is pretty nice for a lyric video as well. Would've been even better without the lyrics. Gorgeous visuals.

@Bear Not bad! I'm not really in the mood for this type of thrashin' these days but it was okay for a spin.

Speaking of, I've just been listening to the new Skeletal Remains album for the first time today, solid stuff as expected! Also seems like I'm spinning a lot of old Jungle Rot albums lately, just can't get enough of that straightforward caveman-ish death metal, lol.

15 hours ago, Jigsaw9 said:

@Bear Not bad! I'm not really in the mood for this type of thrashin' these days but it was okay for a spin.

Alright. Thanks for checking it out. Appreciate it, mate. 👌