The general Metal discussion thread

New album is out and it's a step up for sure. I thought Cult of a Dying Sun was close to awful, but this sounds great. Maybe even more Dissection-esque than before, but I am more than fine with that.

Viking-era Bathory worship to the core, and some of the best Bathory worship I've ever heard. His debut album, "

Si Vis Pacem, Para Bellum", was more in the vain of "Blood Fire Death", and it's pretty good. But "Odes" is all about "Twilight of the Gods" and it's absolutely brilliant. There's not a single second of originality on the entire album, but I'm fine with that as "Twilight of the Gods" are among my favourite albums ever, and this is basically a part 2. Not quite as good, but not too far away either. His third album of original material, "Collapse", was more in the vain of the thrashing "Requiem". It's also good, but "Odes" is, by far, his masterpiece so far. It's absolutely amazing.

His second album was a Bathory cover album, and it's fine but he never reaches the originals or adds anything new to the songs, so I'd rather just listen to the original songs. 

Edited by Bear

Dungeon synth maste Old Sorcery, who have kept releasing fantastic albums and EPs since 2017, just released his first black metal album as well. It's very dungeon synthy, and it sounds very Old Sorcery-esque, just with black metal edged into the already brilliant sound. Highly recommended.

https://oldsorcery.bandcamp.com/album/sorrowcrown

805572.jpg?3745

https://yothiria.bandcamp.com/releases

Jim Mutilator (who played on classic Rotting Christ and Varathron albums like Passage to Arcturo, Thy Mighty Contract, Non Serviam and His Majesty at the Swamp) and Magus Wampyr Daoloth (Necromantia, as well as having played on Thy Mighty Contract and Non Serviam)  have joined forces and created a brilliant piece of epic, Greek black metal in the vein of Triarchy of the Lost Lovers. Yeah, I did say Triarchy of the Lost Lovers and not Thy Mighty Contract, Passage to Arcturo or His Majesty at the Swamp. Under His Sway sounds like Rotting Christ anno 95-96, and if someone had told me that this was recorded around that time I would've been fooled simply because it sounds like it was written in the same time period as Triarchy of the Lost Lovers. Brilliant EP!

D-beat black metallers Paranoid er out raising hell, and they are doing it in such a fucking fantastic way. Everything they release are just beyond fucking great, and this album is no exception. What a fantastic band. Darkthrone meets Discharge meets Iron Maiden and The Casualties or something. 

Edited by Bear

One the greatest modern day power/speed metal titans releasing their 11th album in December. And I already own all Iron Savior albums :rock: 
Looks like I already know what I wanna for Christmas.

884116.jpg?2739

Satan's Fall - Final Day

Satan's Fall have been impressed massively with their Mercyful Fate and NWOBHM inspired material, and personally I just can't wait for this. If this is anywhere near the quality of the earlier stuff it's gonna be immense. 

888993.jpg?5248

Bròn - Pred dverima noći

Bron is a weird one. Started out as an absolutely magnificent atmospheric black metal band, before starting to release some ambient/downtempo stuff of varying quality. It's not bad, just not all that. But whenever Bron release some black metal I'm super excited, because the quality is top notch. This will consist of three tracks and I hope they're black metal. This is interesting.