CAT5

Favorite Female Vocalists!

I think she fits the music. Terrible vocals on terrible music.

I checked out Rubicon a while ago when I got a recommendation for Tristania. The new vocalist did nothing for me. I then went back and tried out Widow's Weeds. That was fantastic. Vibeke's voice was great and the musicianship was so much better. So, where in their career did Tristania start sucking (because it obviously happened somewhere)?

Tristania started to suck after World of Glass which is listenable, but nothing huge. Morten Veland left in 2000 to start Sirenia, and he was the songwriter and it was more or less his band. He was the force in the band. When he left, they lost the unique part of the band. But Widow's Weeds and Beyond the Veil are two good albums. Especially Widow's Weeds is damn good. And World of Glass is OK.

i don't know their names but you probably know who i mean :P

the agonist

lacuna coil (cristina)

eths (candice)

where eagles dare

straight line stitch

the birthday massacre (i don't know why... :P )

iwrestledabearonce (coz she's a crazy biatch)

there r a few more but i think that's enough

I don't like female vocalists but Tarja Turunen (ex. Nightwish) is the only exception. She's pretty good!

I preferred Oceanborn era the most. When she switched to less of an operatic style of singing I felt her voice lost some impact. Oceanborn is still a great album though.

I preferred Oceanborn era the most. When she switched to less of an operatic style of singing I felt her voice lost some impact. Oceanborn is still a great album though.

So true, I feel the same way.

Off the top of my head:

There's something so damaging about Lacey's voice which I adore. It brings across those pained emotions portrayed in the band's music, and that's something I really appreciate with Lacey's way of singing. It's what makes Flyleaf distinctive and timeless if you ask me.

As for a solo pick, it'd have to be Ellie Goulding now that I think about it. It's really too bad her music is such a bore but she has one of the best, if not the best voice in current mainstream music. Forget Adele, Goulding's voice is soft, lush and effortlessly gorgeous, she deserves to make much better music that suits it. I'd enjoy her much more. The song closest to how I'd like her to sing more often is 'Love Me Like You Do', acoustic version. 

I'll edit this with more picks once I think over it.

Japanese Rock:

Fuki (DEATHBRINGER, Unlucky Morpheus)

Rami (ex Aldious)

Rino (Aldious)(Only when she sings with a deeper tone)

Japanese Pop:

Namie Amuro

Ayumi Hamasaki

Tomiko Van (Do as Infinity)

Hitomi Takahashi

Aikawa Nanase

Kurosaki Maon

Jasmine

Misono (Day After Tomorrow)

Yasuda Rei

Rina Aiuchi

Hitomi Shimatani

Yukie Nakama

Hitomi Furuya (THE original hitomi)

Japanese Rap/Hip Hop/R&B:

MINMI

Ai

Izumi Makura

Hime (If you don't know her, you need to)

Daoko

Kazami (so sad because she just fell off the radar)

Korean Pop:

BoA

Hyorin (Sistar)

Juniel

Jiyeon (T-ara)

Horan (Clazziquai)

Lee Ji-eun (IU)

Soyeon (T-ara)

I haven't really been keeping up with non-Japanese music, but here goes

Chinese:

王菲 Faye Wong

蕭亞軒 Elva Hsiao

陳慧琳 Kelly Chen

(... though I think much of Elva & Kelly's music is, like most Cpop, super boring)

Korean:

BoA

English (so much 90s):

Fiona Apple

Shirley Manson (Garbage)

Aaliyah

Lauryn Hill

... my non-Japanese male vocalist list would be a lot longer.. interesting

Mine would be Sierra Bogges And Kristin Chenoweth

Edited by TODORA
to stupid to use HTML

for me i will have to say favorite female vocalist depends on genre but will have to be  vivian of aloha from hell shes german but she reminds me of myself  she is a humble person love her

but if heavy music or etc it will have to be vivian of gallhammer (ironic cause both named vivian) i listened to them since i was younger both gallhammer and aloha from hell  . gallhammer is a powerhouse electronic doom noise atmospheric black totally a soundtrack my younger years she as well humble and smart miss both bands and both disbanded years ago