Sign in to follow this  
Pandabear

Deadman Wonderland

Deadman Wonderland

deadman-wonderland.jpg?w=514&h=363

A massive earthquake ravaged Japan's mainland and destroyed most of Tokyo, sinking three-quarters of it into the ocean. Ten years later, the story shifts to Igarashi Ganta, a seemingly ordinary student attending Nagano Prefecture's middle school. This all changes when a strange man covered in blood and crimson armour floats through his classroom windows and massacres Ganta's entire class, but instead of killing him, embeds a red crystal shard in Ganta's chest. Within days of the massacre, Ganta is declared the sole suspect and, following a quick trial, is sentenced to life imprisonment in Deadman Wonderland, a massive theme park like prison.

Arriving at the prison, Ganta is fitted with a special collar which monitors his location and life signs. Due to the heinous nature of Ganta's 'crime', he has to live out his imprisonment under Deadman Wonderland's 'Death Sentence'. A lethal poison is constantly injected into his bloodstream through the collar, but it can be neutralized by consuming a peculiar candy-like medicine every three days. Additional candy can be earned through hard work or by purchasing it. In order to gather Cast Points, the prison's currency, an inmate has to perform in the facility's lethal games and survive.

In a bizarre twist, Ganta begins to develop the ability to manipulate his own blood, to the point of turning it into a weapon. After his ability is discovered, Ganta is forced to participate in brutal gladiatorial death matches, known as Carnival Corpse, whose anonymous spectators pay large amounts of money to watch.

Just started watching this. It's pretty cool so far.

I started reading the manga last year and watched the first episode some days ago.

Pretty awesome.

I started reading the manga last year and watched the first episode some days ago.

Pretty awesome.

I was actually going to start reading the manga a few months ago but my bookstore didn't have the 1st volume so I opted for a different manga instead. Just watched episode five of the anime which had the 1st death match, and it was as bloody as expected. I actually found the penalty for losing and what happened to Senji really messed up. That prison nurse is one sadistic psycho. Crow is still pretty bad ass and so is Makina the chief guard. Two of my favorite characters :domo:

Pretty awesome.

I was actually going to start reading the manga a few months ago but my bookstore didn't have the 1st volume so I opted for a different manga instead. Just watched episode five of the anime which had the 1st death match, and it was as bloody as expected. I actually found the penalty for losing and what happened to Senji really messed up. That prison nurse is one sadistic psycho. Crow is still pretty bad ass and so is Makina the chief guard. Two of my favorite characters :domo:

so it IS as bloody as the manga?

COOL! I must continue watching this.

I'm liking how this isn't straight out buckets of blood and limbs flying everywhere for no apparent reason. Its good a combination of tame but interesting character and plot development with action and brutality. IMO the normal scenes enhance the grotesque and blood curling action, particularly since it seems to come out of nowhere. Like getting killed by flesh eating acid spray and then being crushed by a giant tank like machine.

Sign in to follow this