Zephry0

ギルガメッシュ (Girugamesh)

13 days?!! Do they have enough songs to do that? *checks playlist*..... I guess we'll have to see.

It's a day for each album, and the other days are random "band-switches-member", "battle of the bands", "..." things... The last days is a "Tokyo Sadistic" live in which I assume they'll play a mixed setlist from all of their songs, as well as new things. Wouldn't even be surprised if they reveal a new album or single to be released!

Satoshi just doesn't have the same impact with his vocals anymore...it's like they have lost a lot of his power.

Also, this makes my soul weep

9YnbpfCmpGw

Eh, I kinda like the preview. At least it sounds fun, catchy and energetic, and still has some kind of "rock kick" so to speak.

Seems like a nice upbeat song for the summer actually. :)

yeah, their new single is a heck of an improvement. Their is something really weird about the mixing on the song though, I can't quite pin it down yet, but it just sounds too...clean.

That and I wish I could just delete the chorus from this song. I would be so much better without it.

Girugamesh's new PV for Drain

I love the sound of the track.  It takes me back to the Music album era in many ways.  While not as "re-incarnated" as they hyped their return to be, I love the new sound sound and direction back to a more agressive and exciting sound.

I don't know how I feel about this. One the one hand, it is a hell of an improvement over the crap they have been putting out lately. But on the other, it kind of feels...fake? The beep bloops sound like they could have been ripped right out of a Crossfaith song, especially the dubstep-esque "drops." That and the break down just feels faux-heavy - like "lets only play two notes, but they are gunna be really deep and sound super heavy and shit!" Yeah, no. All of that said, I actually kind of dig the chorus. I guess what this means is I am allowed to have a little bit of hope again XD

Tbqh these songs don't feel very different from everything released since 2009. Why? You can use heavier riffs and bleep-bloops all you want but that's not going to take away the poppy elements hidden underneath. These songs are not much different, the only thing that is different are the riffs and the dubstep.

I'd be the first one to admit that all they've done in the past years is somewhat linked, but I remember when I saw them live during their Crazy Crazy Crazy tour and MUSIC just sounds the best live. I'm glad there's a bit more of that again.

GO is the most boring album ever though. Everything on that release was so clean and overproduced that waiting for any kind of edge or "rawness" was pretty much a waste of time. So if anything, MONSTER will be a huge step up from that.

It's been showing in the bands they hang out with and the line-ups they get thrown in though. Girugamesh likes being part of the underground rock scene more than any type of VK. Wish they'd somehow go a bit more post-hardcore, but I'm already glad Satoshi's voice sounds better in these recordings.

Girugamesh likes being part of the underground rock scene more than any type of VK.

Yes, because djentstepcore is totally underground. I agree with nearly everything Ito says, but the bottom line is they're still doing everything I don't like about modern rock and I really hope there are songs on here that aren't like this. The last three singles' A-sides were deceptive.

Yes, because djentstepcore is totally underground.

Not sure if you were being sarcastic there, but I'm fairly sure that any kind of core genre is still considered part of the underground rock scene in most countries in the world. And I've never done an interview with a band from any of those genres, who tried to tell me otherwise.

But yeah, I know what you mean. It just seems to me a lot of people (not saying you're one of them) are just still complaining about Girugamesh "NOT BEING DARK VK ANYMORE." I've loved them since 13's reborn, but nothing what they've done after has fit them so well as MUSIC. They can be catchy or poppy or whatever random genres they want to mix together, and I couldn't care less. People should learn to move on.

I can't be the only person who's liked all of their recent title tracks though, now am I? Zecchou Bang was fun, even though the most random thing ever, and Zantetsuken was great. Incomplete is kind of what I expected them to come up with now, and Drain fits with that. Though even though I love that small break down part, I have many issues with it. Why is it so short? Why is it so simple? Why why why?

I was being sarcastic. The amount of v-neck, stretched-ears, Verb the Noun, post-hardcore-derived outfits themed after videogame characters is so massive that nobody can say Girugamesh are being original by taking these elements up. There's nothing underground about a genre that's has been infecting America since about 2007. It's not that I think the genre is shit. It's that THERE IS TOO MUCH OF IT. It's called oversaturation and it's what killed nu metal.

I don't want Girugamesh to be something they've already been. They won't do it, and why should they? I'm pissed off that they are doing all the hallmarks (and the most generic hallmarks at that) of every currently popular scenes. I mean, the breakdown in Drain...how many times have I heard that exact same riff? My old guitarist used to play that whenever he was testing his guitar for fuck's sake...when we were both 16.

And like Ito said, they're writing pop songs with some breakdowns and minimal-note chug riffs to pretend they're heavier, so even if I COULD tolerate what they're doing, I'd just be pointing out how they're not doing it very well. They're working on a checklist. Do we have chug breakdowns? Yes. Do we have random bass drop noises? Yes. Do we have a pop punk upbeat chorus at the end? Yes. Is one of our members dressed like a schoolboy? God knows why, but yes.

I loved MUSIC. Even though they were ripping off Linkin Park, at least they did it at high quality, with some sense of self. There was nobody else who sounded that close to early Linkin Park. In fact they were so good at sounding like Linkin Park that somehow they managed to avoid sounding like a mere shitty copy.

Here, well, they are rapidly becoming a shitty copy, just like nearly every other VK band currently going.

If they're going to ride trends, I'd appreciate if they did it well.

But I'd prefer they didn't ride trends.

Let alone saturated, omniscient trends I have never been able to like that could do with one less, previously (somewhat) original band participating in.

Point taken and completely understood from an American point of view. I, myself, am European and I can assure you that nothing of these things is "standard" or "everywhere" as people make it seem to be. If you're not at least close to people either liking or playing such music, you won't see any of it. It's not infecting anything in Europe, basically because you'll only see it when you search for it. So for me it's not as much overdone as it is for you.

In Japan as well, there aren't many that do it right, or don't look totally ridiculous trying to get themselves into "the scene" as a band. Hell, the place I am now hasn't ever even heard of any of these bands and each time I mention anyone my favorite ones, they look at me like I'm from another planet. (There's enough rock here, just hardly anything of this type of music) It's not because it's incredibly popular at one side of the world that it is just the same on the other side. I can't come up with any other Japanese bands doing what they're doing, and doing it as well (even though it might sound and look different to us, western people)

It's not that I don't agree to a certain degree with what you're saying. I'm just sick and tired of it being the issue all the time. "SATOSHI MADE THEM SOFT" "RYO DECIDES THEIR DIRECTION" "THEY'RE LP FANBOYS" Whatever... really...

So yes, after all these years I'd still take Girugamesh trying whatever they feel like trying, over them sounding the same every album. For all I care they'd turn into another Another Story, My First Story, Coldrain or even Crossfaith. As long as they do it right, I could hardly be bothered. But who knows, maybe I'm just too patient, and my music taste too big of a mess to get stuck with one type of thing.

The song is a step up from their last two shit albums so i'm excited for the new album. I enjoyed INCOMPLETE a lot.

I also enjoyed DRAIN as well as INCOMPLETE. With Satoshi's new side band, I hope with this sound this can grow and evolve it more and the more poppish side can actually die and Satoshi can get his fill with those songs in that band. I am looking forward to MONSTER.

I'm Australian. Europe has always been fairly independent, but that's because Europe doesn't want to be America (as a generalisation). Europe has the strongest grindcore scene, currently. The thing here is that Americans generally don't want to copy them, and therefore the bands who copy America don't want to either. As for Japan, well, they have a Times Square, which i think is fairly indicative of exactly how much they want to copy America. Girugamesh pick up currently trending elements and incorporate it into their sound. I think I can be forgiven for drawing the conclusion that they did it consciously. I don't know many VK bands that haven't been copying anyone else so that's not the problem. It's that they're copying shit derived from post-hardcore (nobody can deny that is what they're playing now) more than anything else, and since I do not post-hardcore (and never did), I am not pleased. I am even less pleased that if they have decided to start copying something LESS OMNISCIENT in Western music (the particular strain of music that sees a significantly broader demographic and is therefore most influential to countries that idolise its source) when they could have decided to copy something else; the fact is, they didn't.

As a side note, I see dubstep as electronica made by -core fans. That's why it has caught on so well with them. Case and point: Skrillex. How many nowadays would know dubstep if not for Skrillex? Where did he come from originally? Oh yeah--a post-hardcore band.

Well, my bad. But yeah, like I said before, I don't think you're wrong. I guess this is nothing more than a personal preference then? It feels like you'd be complaining less about the whole style if it were something you actually liked listening to? To be fair though, I'd like Giru to push it some more too. Get themselves to an edge of a genre and somehow reinventing it a bit, rather than drowning amidst the whole pool of bands and seemingly not knowing where to go or look first. For a band that's been around 10 years, it feels like they've definitely lost their way sometime in the past years. Whether or not it was forced upon them, or not, we have no clue.

It's obvious Giru has always been influenced by American bands because they love a lot of them, but it's not because they are that it is a bad thing. They might be one of many in the world, but they're definitely not one of many in Japan/Asia. Which is, I'm sure, still their main goal. For foreign fans like us, it's a totally different issue. So if they're adapting things from the Western rock world, I'd only think it's normal. They haven't been VK for years, and they won't ever be again.

Also, the US is one country with many states. But it's still unified. Europe isn't a country, but a continent. Each country has its own habits, its own cultures. There's no unity. We go in against each other too much to bother fighting with things halfway around the world. We couldn't ever be "an America." In many ways.

The whole Skrillex thing still makes me laugh. It's indeed ended up somewhere in-between the electro and core scenes, but I don't think that's the only reason why it's been used so much in rock lately. I still believe in the "bands just want to mix genres as they feel like it."

I don't understand this position of "were VK" anywway. It's the same problem with Dir en grey. I mean never in their history girugamesh have seriously been like a classic VK band. Their music could as well have been done by SOAD or Linkin Park and their visuals were...what? A bit of black eyeliner and dark long hair? If anything, they look more VK now than then, but really: it's not VK just because you're japanese and wear some make-up.

But anyway for me girugamesh is long gone anyway. I mean that in a sense that I won't give a shit about their new stuff, because there are 1000s of other bands I could prefer which do what giru do just better. And from 13's reborn to GO there are always a few songs I like and dislike, so I don't really care. I have parts on every of their records to enjoy, and if they will continue doing that "pop in heavy chord disguise", hell yes they should do it, but don't expect me to pay for it. Ah yeah and the new singles were all boring and could have been on GO altogether.

Dir en grey is a good example of a band who is taking international music styles into their sound without being generic. They toured with BMTH and came back with deathcore influence...so what. They didn't suddenly spam two-note breakdowns. They legitimately began using the mix of thrash and hardcore with their previous death and progressive tendencies, and apparently some nu metal (!) for extra effect (re: bass technique). This is all potential evidence of a desire to play the bits they want to play (or at least what their lead composers want, re: current drummer issues) regardless of current popularity. Hell, they even (arguably) pulled off some variety of doom/drone/sludge, and since when has that been popular? I'm not well-versed in them but as far as I'm aware I think the answer is "never" (though if anyone knows differently, please tell). Funnily enough, this mix of primarily-European-based styles has brought them straight into my interests.

Girugamesh, on the other hand, are just ticking boxes off a list. While Incomplete manages to successfully integrate dubstep with (almost) nu metal, Drain is a pointless rehash of these elements; I think this means they lucked out the first time they did attempted it, and that (again as Ito said) they're making use of the (imo cheaper) aspects of post-hardcore for the achievement of a faux-heaviness. I would be inclined to believe they genuinely liked this style if it was less popular, less omniscient, less of a mass-produced commodity, but I'm afraid I can't trust any band using so many cliches at an eerily coincidental point in time (especially since they released two singles only months ago that somehow lacked most of it).

Then yes, the bottom line is I fucking hate it to begin with. I liked Incomplete, and the original singles, but if the two singles are being re-done in this "MONSTER" style, and the teasers are just displaying more and more of these elements, I think what little novelty they had will expire very quickly. While I'm hoping the album will prove otherwise (like Max the Hormone did), I am not feeling enthusiastic (as, unlike MTH, Girugamesh has not shown an overt sense of humour and/or self-awareness [certainly not since they decided to be Linkin Park]).

So I wasn't exactly sure where to post this. But I barely saw this today and it made me really excited. 

Like i think I'd be kinda okay if he did a solo or something. I'm also surprised with his vocal skills..... like dang boi