Sign in to follow this  
Peace Heavy mk II

Dead Island

lZqrG1bdGtg

I am excited for this. I read about it a few days ago in a Playstation magazine while I was obscenely bored at work and it caught my eye. I'm not an expert in all things zombie-related, but I did like Left 4 Dead 2 and this looked like that title mixed with Dead or Alive Extreme Beach Volleyball. Although there seems to be a lack of large breasted Asian women in this game, I read up on it a bit and seems like it's much much more involved than L4D2 was in terms of weapons and an actual skill tree so your character progresses as the story goes on instead of just plowing through hoards of zombies while some douche in Nova Scotia runs ahead of the pack and causes everyone to get killed.

I think this game has multiple person co-op, but I'm not 100% sure. I know it will be on Steam as well as for PS3.

Some actual game play and lulzy voice acting:

pVzRo39P31I

Oh, forgot to originally mention: the game is split into several stories. One is an Asian lady (as shown in the videos) who worked at the hotel and another is a washed-up tryhard rapper. Who do you voodoo, bitch?

I18J5vNLzDk

yes I'm so excited for this game, it looks to be what L4D should of been. not to mention it's totally 100% open world. and Yes it has 4 player drop-in drop-out co-op!!!! Oh it also has a really neat crafting system with melee weapons..

but yea game is looking good and it comes out next month, who's gonna get it? I know I am!

not to mention it's totally 100% open world.

Not quite. The boundaries are similar to Oblivion where if you swim or leave the "game area" you get that good ol' warning that your leaving the game area and you get re spawned into a game area I believe which in essence is still leaving the free-roam ideal intact but it makes the game feel cheap, personal opinion though. I much rather would have been mauled by water zombies or something if I swam too far from the island, that would be bad ass. I'm also not very happy with the XP/Damage indicators because they look tacky, as does the stamina meter but they can be turned off via options menu I hear. I'm pretty nitpicky about a few more things like the realism of the environment (people hiding in a lifeguards hut with two flimsy wooden doors between them and a horde of undead,) and the slippery driving controls but I'll wait and see when DI is released.

I'm digging the concept and setting and craft-able weapons though and I do actually like he RPG elements they've stuffed into the game despite overclogging the UI/HUD with bullshit text updates on how much damage I did to a zombie.

My birthday is coming up next week, and I will be buying a couple of games. And since I'm a fan of zombie games I will certainly take this one into consideration. When is the release date again?

i like this game too, heard some part the U.S Version are censored though.

but so far i just knew the logo changed for the U.S Version.

Hope not the case with the game play!

Though lucky it is not banned. Rated as M

Btw this games makes Australia put it as M15+ on ratings

(it is the highest age restriction for video games in the country)

Now you can wonder how brutal this game will be,

Aussie are rarely giving out such ratings for video game!

Before, there were lotsa rumours that it will be following the fate of Left 4 Dead,

to be banned on the Down Under.

Erin> PAL version: September 6, NTSC version: September 9

I'd love to be at the german USK when they receive the game and totally go apeshit: "THIS IS SO /&%"(=& BANNED!!!!" xD

But seriously, I dunno about that game. Loved the first trailer, but was kinda disappointed by the ingame footage. Reminds me of Dead Rising (which I hated) with a RPG twist - will have to wait for a demo in the US/austrian store and test ist, it may be awesome, but it might also be meh.

So who's getting this next week? I'll have it day one, so if anyone wants to play together pm me and we'll go from there :) Oh btw I'm getting it on xbox xD

So who's getting this next week? I'll have it day one, so if anyone wants to play together pm me and we'll go from there :) Oh btw I'm getting it on xbox xD

Me, me, me, me!

I already have a team to play it with, but wouldn't mind going through it twice with a different character (besides said team are somewhat unreliable and liable to switching who exactly is gaming with us)

Still stoked for this. I know a guy who owns a review copy of the game and he says, personally, as a diehard Left 4 Dead fan, that he likes it more than Left 4 Dead and that the game is gorgeous, that it's so much more RPG than he expected. Which is perfect for me because I'm an RPG and zombie fiend. I'm glad it's not going to be your typical, boring ol' FPS.

I was actually looking forward to this, but the videos prove it's just a "Far Cry 2 meets L4D" game.

Meh.

I agree with you there. When i saw the trailer i thought it was going to be a singel player survival horror. But im not dissappointed, the game looks like it has alot of zombie slaying fun, just hope the story is good.

It's a bit annoying thouh how the game feels like it's a mix of a bunch of games, L4D and Farcry 2 , like you mentioned. And Fallout , Borderlands and ofcurse, Dead Rising...So i hope the game has something that makes it stand out and not make me think of the games i mentioned above.

So, anybody else played it yet? IMO it's a nice game, though it's really annoying that the weapons break so quickly.

(btw, anybody on 360 willing to play coop?)

lol some of the indoor textures in this game suck so hard. Actually, scratch that most of the textures suck hard. Plus driving physics are sooooo bad.

It's good fun though and I'm pretty surprised at the well integrated RPG elements, I figured those would be the downfall of the game.

I was actually looking forward to this, but the videos prove it's just a "Far Cry 2 meets L4D" game.

Meh.

THIS.

It seems that gaming industry is running out of fresh new ideas as well...hum.

no actually it's more of borderlands with zombies, and melee weapons.... but none the less I heard its really fun and addictive despite it's obvious story flaws and bugs.

So I've had Dead Island for about a week now and... my expectations were not met. It's not a terrible game, but it certainly didn't live up to the hype. It gets the survival down, and there are moments of genuine panic when there are dozens of furious infected running after your character who is low on stamina and has a busted flimsy weapon.

And sometimes, sometimes, the co-op is fun.

But the level scaling is absurd. Once you've beaten the game, you should be about level 45 - 50 and have the option of going through the game again via the new game+ on the main menu. Great! You can mop up the remainder of your challenges and achievements, because it certainly won't be to experience the story again. Only the zombies are level 45 - 50 too. But, oh, what's this? Those shitty weapons you get at the beginning of your first playthrough? Yeah, they don't level up with you. Good luck killing even the weaker zombies with a battered broomstick that does 30dmg.

It costs far too much to repair a weapon that shouldn't be busted in a swing or two. The map is awful and cluttered and the compass will lead you in the complete opposite direction of where you want to go. RPG elelemts are awesome and each character has their own unique set of skills, which is fine. It controls well enough.

But christ are those fetch quest fucking tedious. And it has so many glaring flaws, frankly it shouldn't have been released for another couple of years until they were absolutely sure everything was working because I'd heard horror stories about corrupted save files for no reason and then it happened to my friend's level 30 character.

It also suffers from Borderlands' irritating (and sometimes game breaking) co-op mission sharing and/or stealing. Apparently they attempted to patch the almost unplayable aspects of the game and broke it entirely, so it's going to take them even longer to fix.

So. Decent zombie survival RPG. Not a fantastic game. Not an omgterrible game.

Sign in to follow this