HizumiX13

D'espairsRay

It makes me sad that all of the stuff the members have gone off to do has been relatively crap compared to D'espairsRay (imo).

Karyu joining Angelo is probably the worst blow, considering I don't think that bad has made a single good piece of music.

The Micro Head 4N's really isn't terrible, but they aren't that good either. I think I might even like them if they had a decent vocalist.

But all of this just makes me miss D'espairsRay more. I wish they would have tried some solo stuff or something, I think those would have had the potential to be more interesting. Oh well. I wonder how Hizumi's vocals are doing now.

You put it perfectly Ito. I haven't been fond of any of their new projects although I know some people have, but I know even those people would rather D'espa come back than with the members continue in these new projects (if they had the choice). Something about the four of them together just sparked.

Yeah. Honestly, when D'espa disbanded, I was like "Ok, this sucks, but oh well...there is so much potential for them to make other incredible music outside of D'espairsRay." I especially had high hopes for Karyu, who, oddly enough, is the one in the worst band (I don't think Kirito can sing worth a damn either).

D'espairsRay came on shuffle today on the way to class ("Squall") and I teared up a little bit. Damn, didn't know I missed them that much. :/ I guess I was just so *annoyed* about their last few releases that I didn't think I'd really care if they disbanded. 

I haven't bothered listening to the other projects, but I kinda imagined they would be so-so by comparison. Meh. 

Whooa wait here now!

While I agree that Angelo was a really boring band and Kirito can't really sing to save his life, they hav actually gotten better since Karyu came along!

I was so glad Kirito let Karyu write songs for Angelo, he even wrote singles A-sides and exactly half the songs from the new album was written by him.

On Babel, he wrote LOVE STORY, My Strife, PLOSIVE and Ruins. While the first and the last are quite boring and generic ( I have a feeling Kirito ruined the chorus on them), My Strife is a really good song, and PLOSIVE is outright awesome. (You know what those two songs have in common? Kirito's voice is more or less distorted fufufufufu~)

On RETINA, Karyu wrote the following songs:

01. PROGRAM. So this is the odd man out, it's really boring and sounds  A LOT like LOVE STORY. Except for the first second when there's this noise pack with d'espa-feels ;w;

02. Calvary. Has lots of good guitarwork and a nice melody, doesn't really stand out that much but still good. Again, Kirito's voice is distorted ;D

03. Conviction. Now we're talking. This song has lot's of D'espa-vibes, you can easily imagine Hizumi singing this... it's amost a bit painful, actually. A dark, aggressive mood mixed with a sorrowful chorus, a typical Karyu-song.

04. RIP. This song too. I WANT this to be a D'espa-song, I really do. It's kind of a darker version of BRILLIANT, mixed with DEATH POINT. It's a perfect "get your spirits up and FIGHT"-song!

08. Script error. This song is similar to REDEEMER, it has the same beat. Mostly aggressive, with melancholy undercurrents. This must be amazing live!

11. シナプス/Synapse. This also reminds me of BRILLIANT! It's an upbeat song that still manages to be a little aggressive. If this doesn't get you in a fighting-mood then I don't know what will!

In general I think RETINA was much better than Babel, even Kirito wrote some good songs! I'm also kinda getting used to his voice.

Check those songs out, I'd love to hear what you think!

i really miss D'espairsRay they were one of my first bands and were and still is in my heart one of the best bands ever on the face of the earth its really sad they couldn't continue,and i can't seem to get into any of the bands the other members joined i will agree that Angelo has gotten better and that Micro Head 4n's is decent i just don't like the vocals but they are growing on me though

I honestly didn't know that Zero/Tsukasa were doing anything after D'espairsRay. I tried to get into Angelo for Karyu's sake and they definitely aren't awful, in my opinion anyway, but I don't find them to be particularly attracting especially when compared to other bands I like way more. They just don't stand out or compete well. For me, D'espairsRay was the band that got me into VK and they may not be my favorite band of all time anymore, but it is really hard to compete with the four of them coming together so perfectly. So until Hizumi comes back to music, if he comes back to music, I just don't care about the others' musical projects.

I never really got into D'espairsRay, actually. Or well...never actually bothered to try them decently. I was speaking with Zess and SUBLIMINAL about it yesterday and both recommended me Coll:set. Anything else I should try in the early stages, or maybe stuff I should skip?

they had a relatively short obscure indie period (if you enjoy indie kagerou, you might want to check the very-very indie despa out), peaked at born and coll:set was the last piece of good music they wrote, except for a b-side or two in their later discography.

it you couldn't get into monsters or what was their flop 2nd album name, it's no wonder - they're both shit.

somewhere in my top10 best vk songs ever

I never really got into D'espairsRay, actually. Or well...never actually bothered to try them decently. I was speaking with Zess and SUBLIMINAL about it yesterday and both recommended me Coll:set. Anything else I should try in the early stages, or maybe stuff I should skip?

Personally I enjoyed Gothic, Genwaku, and Kumo - all early EP's. Don't expect to find the most brilliant quality downloads, though. 

Mirror (their second album) was actually not bad at all. I actually prefer it over Coll:set in some ways. 

Just whatever you do, definitely skip Redeemer. 

I never understood the level of hate for REDEEMER. Sure it has some of their weakest tracks such as HORIZON and 夜空, but I also thought it had some of their best like PARADOX 5 and R.E.M-冬の幻聴-. It's definitely their most inconsistent album and overall I'd consider it a step down compared to their previous work but that doesn't change the fact that there are some fantastic individual tracks on it, it definitely has higher points than MONSTERS at least.

I tried Coll:set the other day, but I couldn't even get through it. I was three songs in and I felt like this just wasn't what I'd like so I quit. So...anything else besides Coll:set? I might try MIRROR.

IMHO Coll:set and Mirror are incredible classics

Agreed. And although it's sorta forgettable, I don't exactly dislike REDEEMER either.

I don't even listen to D'espa anymore but Coll:Set is one of those 'VK essentials'

I never understood the level of hate for REDEEMER. Sure it has some of their weakest tracks such as HORIZON and 夜空, but I also thought it had some of their best like PARADOX 5 and R.E.M-冬の幻聴-. It's definitely their most inconsistent album and overall I'd consider it a step down compared to their previous work but that doesn't change the fact that there are some fantastic individual tracks on it, it definitely has higher points than MONSTERS at least.

Eh, tbqh I personally don't hate it for the same reasons you have stated. 

I just usually don't recommend it for people trying the band for the first time, as those couple of weak tracks usually seem to turn people off from my experience. :P

I tried Coll:set the other day, but I couldn't even get through it. I was three songs in and I felt like this just wasn't what I'd like so I quit. So...anything else besides Coll:set? I might try MIRROR.

I'd go for MIRROR if you couldn't get into Coll:set, it's not as ~grimdark~ I'd avoid their indie music too if that style wasn't your thing. Even though they're my favourite band, personally I find REDEEMER to be the most boring of their albums. It still has some decent tracks, but most of it is forgettable. And MONSTERS was fun but sort of lazy, which isn't surprising given how they were more or less forced to release it quickly.

Anyway, everyone who knows me knows I can't stand Maifo. I hate Ricky and the fact that he doesn't care as much about the band as the others (and you can tell), and I hate that Tsukasa's talents are going to waste because their music is so dull I don't even want to suffer through it. 

Angelo I have a little more of an attachment to because while they aren't everyone's cup of tea, I think they are exactly what Karyu needs and, frankly, they needed him as well to make themselves remotely interesting. Their recent music was starting to sound like one endless medley. Considering D'espairsRay were so screwed over by their label and Karyu was frighteningly depressed after they disbanded, I appreciate that Kirito has given Karyu the chance to freely compose what he wants, the way he wants, and he actually owns the music he creates now. He seems content and he gets on extremely well with the band members, their synergy has really improved. 

Still doing graphic design, art, and working on his website. He designs the merchandise for various band friends. He casually meets up with someone every so often to sing though and mentioned missing being a musician recently. Aside from that, he produced the upcoming mini album from RedRum. 

so i missed quite a lot in the past few years: hizumi is doing his merch stuff and is producing redrum's upcoming release; 2 r in the band "micro head 4n" or something like that; which leaves 1 member left - what's he up to?

He's the guitarist of Angelo, alongside Giru (ex-Vidoll)

oh wow, now this a surprise O.o well but u can clearly hear the karyu's influence in "synapse" 

Well, he did write SYNAPSE...

Also script error, RIP, Calvary, Program, Conviction, PLOSIVE, My Strife, Ruins, Love Story. 

I wrote an analysis of his Angelo songs somewhere in this thread. Here~

Aaaand if I may butt into the album-discourse; 

Coll:set is probably their best album, but I think the other albums are judged quite harshly? The reason is probably this: their music did not become worse, they just broadened their style, and it did not suit some of their old fans tastes. 

Somehow I feel personally offended when people are bashing HORIZON I mean how you not love all that WOOH WOOH and silly rapping HIZUMI and hagsdhsafga?? 

Protip if you are new to despa: Read. The lyrics. The translations are all out there. It's so worth it.